You and your parent both signed the ED agreement when you applied to Rice, which states:
I hereby request Early Decision consideration from Rice University. I have not and I will not apply to any other institution?s binding early application plan. If admitted to Rice under Early Decision, I will either accept the offer or withdraw my Rice application by January 2. If I accept Rice?s Early Decision offer, my college search process will be over. I will withdraw any active applications to other schools and will not submit any further applications to any other schools. I also understand that with an Early Decision offer of admission, Rice may share my name and my Early Decision agreement with other institutions.
It's extremely likely that your name will be on a list of ED accepted students and that your other school (U of Miami?) will see it and possibly rescind your admission and scholarship. You want to take that chance?
i thought ED is not as much binding for FA applicants, as in you can withdraw if you get a better offer from some other school, i would check, call Rice they are nice people and would love to help! Good Luck
hmm from what i've heard, the uni will go out of its way to meet an aid offer from another university. If they can't, you can withdraw. Thats what i heard anyway. personally i think ed is just a bad idea. Why didnt you apply interim instead?
For the ED programs that I know of, if you are accepted, you are required to go to that school. There is no such thing as "more binding" or "less binding," even for financial aid applicants. This would be the exact reason why many schools switched to nonbinding EA or eliminated early programs all together because "ED was 'not fair' to applicants with financial need." I think you're between a rock and a hard place, and that's not even discussing the fact that you didn't withdraw your other applications. Just try and negociate with the fin aid department
The OP never mentioned that he/she couldn't afford attending Rice -- only that he/she got more money out of another school that he/she would now rather attend. That's not the way ED works. You have two options -- go to Rice and honor your ED commitment or contact Rice and ask them for assistance; although you should be careful what you say, as your admissions to both schools could be rescinded.
If you contact the admissions department and ask if Rice would consider matching another offer, you will be admitting that you violated your agreement. If you merely state that you cannot afford to come without receiving aid, you might be ask, quite legitimately, why you accepted the ED offer. At the latest, the time to face the affordability issue, if affordability is indeed the issue, was when you received your ED acceptance. If at that time you were denied aid and felt that you could not afford Rice without it, you might have had a reasonable basis to be released from your commitment. Instead, you accepted the ED offer (most likely depriving someone else of the opportunity) and went shopping for a better deal. To put it bluntly, you chose to break the rules. Ironic that you are planning to go to law school.
Of course you cannot be forced to attend Rice and in fact it might not be a particularly good fit; they take their honor code very seriously. The worst that can happen is that your new first choice could find out about your ED commitment and withdraw its offer -- or perhaps they will not find out and you will merely make a deserving student on the waitlist very happy. You had a winning hand and chose to play double or nothing. Maybe you'll be lucky.