Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Vanderbilt vs. Rice

GodBlessAmericaGodBlessAmerica Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited February 2009 in Rice University
How do they compare...in all aspects (campus, weather, academics, extracurriculars, social environment, etc.) ?

Thank you.
Post edited by GodBlessAmerica on

Replies to: Vanderbilt vs. Rice

• colinizationcolinization Posts: 692Registered User Member
    I think Vandy is much more "Southern"-genteel and that sort of thing.
  • desiludesilu Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Campuses:

Similarities: Both campuses are right in the middle of downtown, yet they don't seem like it. While there are no "security walls", I believe you could live both places all four years and have to be reminded that you are downtown.

Houston is a much bigger city and probably has better access to museums, city parks and the subway/metro. However, everything you need is at both campuses.

Rice has a beautiful Spanish/Mediteranean architechture. They seem to have lots of space. You can park for free near the Stadium. It's a long walk, but they do have free buses. I think Parking may be more contentious at Vanderbilt. This is not a problem if you don't bring a car.

Vanderbilt, being a national arboretum, has wonderful trees to go along with the traditional brick college buildings.

They are both beautiful. Even if you have a preference, I don't think it will make the difference in choice of schools.
  • elizabethelizabeth Posts: 221Registered User Junior Member
    I went to Vanderbilt for undergrad engineering and I loved it. I am now at Rice for grad school. Rice is awesome.
  • GodBlessAmericaGodBlessAmerica Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    thanks for the responses, guys!

this is what someone said to me...what do you think?

Rice:
    Houston is hot and HUMID
    liberal but not extreme like Berkeley
    nerdy
    Better research opportunities
    slightly more competitive academics

Vandy:
    more conservative/southern
    centered around greek system
    more well rounded
    better looking student body by far
    also has competitive academics, good research opportunities
    Probably a slightly more recognized name
    Nicer campus
  • al91al91 Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    I think you should go to the school you want to go to; don't go off the opinions of others. Everyone is different, check out the schools for yourself...then decide. A good college for you won't be the same for another.
  • ModulationModulation Posts: 1,877Registered User Senior Member
    Haha, I HAVE heard that Vandy has one of the hottest student bodies...
  • westsidewolf1989westsidewolf1989 Posts: 1,251Registered User Senior Member
    Modulation, that is DEFINITELY not true. Among top 20 schools, yes. Including colleges across America, H*LL no.
  • ModulationModulation Posts: 1,877Registered User Senior Member
    Well, according the TheU, Vandy is SMOKIN' hot. =]
  • iambored10iambored10 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    actually Modulation is kinda right. It was rated top by Playboy so.......... ;)
  • Riceward!Riceward! Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    The most horrible people from my high school (would) enroll, without fail, at Vanderbilt (Fratboy University).
  • markos.alejomarkos.alejo Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    Bu-bu-bu-but they're hot! Jaja, I didn't apply to Vandy because Rice = love.
  • theGametheGame Posts: 1,321Registered User Senior Member
    Unconventional wisdom - what a beautiful statement!
  • DonRDonR Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    Our son's choices came down to Vandy and Rice. We visited both campuses and studied both schools. Both are beautiful. Both have lots of positives. Vandy does have all four seasons (a consideration for our son as we too live in an area without winter).

For our son the physical was less important than the atmosphere. It came down to the people at the schools and their rep. Vandy is a bit more of a preppy, frat, old money, who you know, school. It is part of the "Old South" tradition and people from that social group. People who are not part of that culture are NOT looked down upon, but it does take them some time to adjust to the social group or mindset. This rep comes from about 4 families we know who had members attend Vandy (families within and without the "old south" tradition).

Rice makes a deliberate effort to avoid the "who you know" attitude. Of course there are no frats. The residential colleges accept or adopt their members unconditionally, no pledging, no discrimination, only a wonderful O week and full membership. Our son chose Rice, where he is now a sophomore. He could not have done better. He was quite and not very social at "the" local elite high school. He is absolutely in his element at Rice. I suggest a visit to the schools to test the feeling you get for the atmosphere and how you would fit.
  • MSmom&dadMSmom&dad Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    I agree with Don's analysis. Our D's top two choices for college next fall were Rice and Vandy. She chose to apply ED to Rice (and was accepted) to boost her admissions chances, but Vandy was a close 2nd. Her choice was driven by the residential college system and the welcoming feel she got when she visited. She couldn't be described as a tom girl but she is into sports, doesn't spend a lot of time on clothes and typically "dresses down". Rice seems much more relaxed and less preppy than Vandy and I think she made the correct choice.
  • TreslerTresler Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know much about Vanderbilt (I mean I could assume, but I won't), but Rice has the most personality of any school I've considered. Everyone seems welcome (as long as you can get in :P), and the entire atmosphere is incredibly positive while ridiculously intellectual. I don't see how Vanderbilt could compare!