Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Rutgers math Placement Test Question

Crimson1Crimson1 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited May 2009 in Rutgers
Hello everyone I took my placement tests a while ago, thankfully I just had to take the Math 2 one and I thought I did pretty well.

But I have a question about that: If you failed that test what math course would I be in? And If I passed it what math course would I be in?
Post edited by Crimson1 on

Replies to: Rutgers math Placement Test Question

• MushaboomBlueMushaboomBlue Posts: 1,715Registered User Senior Member
    If you pass the math with high proficiency, you get placed into calculus 01:640:135.

But it depends. If your math skills aren't too good, you would be placed in elementary/intermediate algebra. If your skills are somewhat medium, then you will be placed in Precalculus.
  • Crimson1Crimson1 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Yeha I got placed here: 640:CLS Calculus I so I think I passed, thanks for the help!

And in the description it says that I am eligible to register for either Calculus I (Math 135), or Calculus I for Math and the Physical Sciences (Math 151). Could some who took those courses give me a brief overview on it please?
  • kotokoto Posts: 384Registered User Member
    I'm pretty sure you are enrolled in a certain calculus based on which school and/or major you're in.

here's a quick summary:
    Math 151--152 is the introductory year course in the calculus sequence in New Brunswick for majors in the mathematical sciences, the physical sciences, and engineering. The first semester, Math 151, presents the differential calculus of the elementary functions of a single real variable: the rational, trigonometric and exponential functions and their inverses; various applications via the Mean Value Theorem; and an introduction to the integral calculus. The second semester, Math 152, continues the study of the integral calculus, with applications, and covers the theory of infinite series and power series, touching on differential equations and a few other topics as well.

from Math 151-152 Information and Course Organization
  • RienflecheRienfleche Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Peronally, I took calc 135, then 152 (course after 151).

Put it this way; I hardly ever did any hw in 135 and got an A, while in 152, I had to kill myself to make a B.

So yeah, 151 is definitely harder than 135 and you shouldn't take 151 unless you're very interested in math, or need it for your major.
  • scarletknightscarletknight Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I am going to be taking the Math II placement test on June 1st and I was wondering what exactly is on the test. The rutgers website had a few sample questions and a vague description of what is going to be on it.

Can someone go into even more detail about the contents of the test?
    Thanks
  • kotokoto Posts: 384Registered User Member
    basic algebra and some logs/exponents.

that's really it.