Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is Special About Rutgers?

PeachyKeen2009PeachyKeen2009 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in Rutgers
I'm reading through these threads and nothing has given me an good idea about Rutgers. I am going to be a Senior in HS, I am interested in Engineering, and I live in CT (which puts me at a major disadvantage to start with). Should I consider Rutgers NB?

I am looking for a good education that will help for finding a career (I don't know if it will be related to eng or not), not too prevalent greek life or safety/drug/alcohol issues, and has opportunities for students to enjoy themselves, not just study hard the whole year.

Also any other info that currently attending students could provide that might be helpful or good to know would be awesome!
Post edited by PeachyKeen2009 on

Replies to: What is Special About Rutgers?

• purifypurify Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    Rutgers offers a pretty good education, but I don't know much about CT schools, so I can't tell you whether to consider Rutgers or not.

Half of Rutgers is Greek, centered on College Ave campus. There is a bit of drug and alcohol culture, but it doesn't have to be if you don't hang with people who do those things. Safety isn't a big issue, only around college ave. Exercise common sense and judgment for safety. Go in groups, don't stay up TOO late, etc. All the students who were robbed were robbed on the college ave campus and were alone late at night. (too my knowledge). And there are a lot of opportunities at Rutgers. There's just so many shoe sizes that will fit you at Rutgers because of the large student body and diversity I would be almost surprised if there wasn't a group for you.

I don't know much about engineering, a new Biomedical engineering building was constructed not too long ago. Now it seems a good amount of engineers are biomedical. Engineering is centered around Busch campus, where there's little greek or alcohol culture. Busch is mainly a science campus, with premeds, engineers and pharm students composing most of Busch.
  • PeachyKeen2009PeachyKeen2009 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Thanks, that helps put some things in perspective.

But do you think it hurts my chances of getting in by being out of state? [10% OoS get in]
    My SAT scores line up with theirs and by class rank is in the vast majority of those accepted.
  • -Lurker--Lurker- Posts: 1,420Registered User Senior Member
    its harder out of state, but only marginally. i bet they'll take you - they need your out of state tuition money
  • kotokoto Posts: 384Registered User Member
    You should also look into which type of engineering you may want to pursue. Perhaps UConn is better than RU in the engineering you are most interested in or the other way around. It's always good to consider all your options. :3

(Not to say Rutgers is bad, I'm going for engineering as well this fall.)
  • h0lah0la Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    it has a good engineering program (very hard though), is cheap (even compared to other oos publics), and has both a city & campus feel. the different campuses changes things up, so you'll never get bored. plus, there's always some type of scandal to keep you entertained hahaha (especially here in jersey! YAY) (<---kidding btw!)
    plus, it's close to both nyc & philly....always a plus! oh, and the lovely jersey shore (if u got a car)
    I heard that Rutgers NB favors Biomedical (or maybe it was biochemical) engineering. I'm thinking of going into chemical. Can anyone correct the "rumor"?
  • oleosmirfoleosmirf Posts: 142Registered User Junior Member
    peachykeen2009

Rutgers is completely different than any other school around. for starters unlike rival schools like UMD, UDEL, UConn, Syracuse there are very very very few out of state students at Rutgers.

also for some strange reason a lot of upperclassmen prefer to live in dorms as opposed to living off campus or in apartments, something i can never understand...the parties at Rutgers are also not very good compared to the other big schools. The frats are not as popular and the cop presence is very annoying. The only thing that makes Rutgers parties so great is that the girls here have a reputation of being very very slutty...(yes there are normal girls here too)

academically Rutgers is great for engineering, and pre-med which is probably b/c of the HUGE asian especially Indian population at Rutgers (all good guys btw). Business is not as great (thats what I am) but it is still top 50...
  • kotokoto Posts: 384Registered User Member
    The biomedE upswing is really due to the really really nice new building that it now has. I've seen it, and compared to the chemE wing, it is so much nicer. I'm thinking of going into chemE as well, but I have heard good things about the program from upperclassmen, so I feel it'll be alright. Plus, you don't declare a specific engineering until end of freshman year and you take an Intro to Engineering class to get a feel of each type.