Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Huge SAT increase in ONE month?

rickscottrickscott Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
Hey!

My current SAT scores:
Math: 780
CR: 630
Writing: 610

What I want them to look like:
Math: 780+
CR: 700+
Writing: 650+

I plan to take the SAT in December.

I'm not too concerned whether or not it's possible, I'm curious how it would be accomplished.

What's a good method for obtaining this goal? I understand study material, but what exactly? Practice tests, drills, whatever you think.

Anecdotes are acceptable!
Post edited by rickscott on

Replies to: Huge SAT increase in ONE month?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,664Registered User Senior Member
    When you do the CR practice sections....do you go over why you got certain questions wrong?

Do you mark your "guessed" answers and then check to see why a "right guessed answer" was right and why the other possible answer was wrong?

Do you look over SAT vocab?

Do you do well on questions dealing with idioms? That area often screws kids up.

Where are you applying?

Are you trying to raise scores for acceptance and/or for merit scholarship consideration?
  • rickscottrickscott Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
    Those are some great tips, despite them being in question form.

I am attempting to increase my scores for the RD deadline (early January).

Thanks for the info!!
    Also, what's a good way to improve my vocabulary? Any good books, sites?
  • TenplenesisTenplenesis Posts: 135Registered User Junior Member
    Direct Hits Volumes 1 and 2.
  • SwedeToUSSwedeToUS Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    I studied about 2-3 weeks (though quite intensely) before the Oct SAT. Raised from a 1990 to 2120. Superscore ended up being 2190. You can pull it off.
    What I did:
    - ALOT of practice tests
    - Some reading (looked up all the words I didn't know)
    - Read silverturtle's guide (only writing part). Went from 640 to a 710 in writing.

Just study basically :P
    Swede, that's inspiring!!!

I'll definitely have to read silverturtle's guide, thanks!

Also, how many practice tests did you take within 2-3 weeks? I am willing to put in as much time as possible!

THANKS!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,664Registered User Senior Member
    Also, what's a good way to improve my vocabulary?

There are SAT vocab lists online and in SAT practice books.

here's an online link 100 Most Common SAT Words

Those are some great tips, despite them being in question form.

I think I'm playing Jeopardy. ;)
  • SwedeToUSSwedeToUS Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    I did almost 10 tests in those 2-3 weeks. 7 or 8 from Kaplan and two from official. Overall I've done the tests in the blue book like twice. :P
    My progress:
    1730 -> 1810 -> 1990 -> 2190
    Alot of tests, I know, but what the heck.. I'm Swedish! :D
  • adchangadchang Posts: 398Registered User Member
    Princeton Review 11 Practice Tests. Its harder than the real thing, but that just means you'll be prepared. Plus, it had good explanations.
    Hey! I bought and have received the Kaplan 12 practice tests, I hope that's okay.

I have done about 2 so far, I have also started reading the vocab from Direct hits V1.

I feel like I'm not making much progress, what should I do to improve while taking the practice tests?

24 days to GO! I gotta pick up the pace!!!

PS: Silverturtle's guide is awesome!!
  • NonsensicalNonsensical Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    I went from a 193 on the PSAT to a 2200 on the SAT first time around (took it twice and got a 2210, raising my super score to a 2250). I got the actual College Board book first time around, and the McGraw Hill book second time around. I just sat down and did a test a week. I went over the questions I got wrong after each section or two, so it was still fresh in my mind, so I could see where I went wrong. When it got closer to the test I focused on the subject I was doing the worst in (math) and just did a bunch of those practice tests.
  • askingaquestionaskingaquestion Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Princeton review helped me out. I agree with the person above who said that it is harder than the actual SAT, so it just prepares you even more.
  • jonisigeljonisigel Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    ^Princeton Review book was really helpful for me, too. I found the CR and Math sections more difficult than the actual SAT and the writing section easier. Buy the Collegeboard SAT study guide, too. When I prepared for the SAT, I did a couple sections every one or two days. This really helped me. I'm started off with a 189 PSAT in 10th grade and got a 2320 SAT score (first try) in 11th grade.
    Thanks for the input! I will definitely have to do more from this booky.

So would you guys approve of me using the Kaplan 12 practice tests?
  • adchangadchang Posts: 398Registered User Member
    Ehh, I have a big purple Kaplan book my school ordered for us all. It was too easy-- gave me massively inflated scores. I don't now if this stands for all Kaplan, but I personally don't like them.