Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ARE THESE SENTENCES GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT? writing mc practice.

tidal822tidal822 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
1:
[Having] little concern for others, [as well as] [a lack of] curiosity about the [unknown], the woman made an ineffectual teacher.

A B C D or E?

2:
The political [climate of] astable nation can be expected [to change], but [far more gradually] than trends in art or music [do].

A B C D or E?

thanks.
Post edited by tidal822 on

Replies to: ARE THESE SENTENCES GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT? writing mc practice.

• mrniceguymrniceguy Posts: 302Registered User Junior Member
    edit, ALL wrong
  • tidal822tidal822 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    but i think the 'do' refers to trends, not art or music. so i think E for the 2nd one.

isnt #1 - C? I mean according to the parallelism thingamajig, shouldn't it be 'lacking' to go along with the 'having' in the phrase ahead of it?

i dont know
  • mrniceguymrniceguy Posts: 302Registered User Junior Member
    I think you are right. Sorry, I didn't read the second sentence correctly...

And after thinking about it, I think your reasoning for the first one is correct as well.

Where do these problems come from? Isn't there an answer key?
    comes from kaplans 05 writing workbook - just needed some extra practice so i ended up using this too.

im doubting a little bit that all the given answers in the answer key aren't correct.. or maybe im just stupid.

someone explain why #1 isnt C
  • MarkSWMarkSW Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    I think C is the right choice to pick, since it does parallel with havING, but I am not exactly sure. I would have put "E" as well if I saw it.
  • tellallyourfriendstellallyourfriends Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    what are the answers in the key?

number 1 doesnt nessesarly need to be parallel... the teacher can have a lack of curosity.. im guess in the answer is A, since having and being are almost never the correct answers

for #2, does climate have to agree with trends? other than that it seems correct
  • SAT=MyKryptoniteSAT=MyKryptonite Posts: 248Registered User Junior Member
    i thought A and C
  • WinstonChurchillWinstonChurchill Posts: 63- Junior Member
    first one is supposed to be lacking. second one should be correct
    "since having and being are almost never the correct answers" - im pretty sure that for this reason it is, I kinda forgot what kinda of grammatical term words that begin a sentence and are "-ing" are called, participial? something like that...anyway im pretty sure having works okay here because it is used as an adjective to describe "the woman" and since a lack of, should also follow the parallel trend "lacking..." it is also be used to describe "the woman"
    i think 'having' is ok too, but i dont get why its not 'lacking'
    why is the answer for the first one E though. or so kaplan says
    hmmm..my first notion was "E" as well, but i believe C is a good choice as well. I guess since its more logical to go with the book,you should do so.
  • VehementVehement Posts: 957Registered User Member
    C and E

I think I have the kaplan book..I will try to find that question..
  • DifferentiableDifferentiable Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    I'm not exactly an expert on writing, but I think that the "having" refers to "a lack of curiosity," as well as "little concern."

I don't think parallelism is relevant because the verb "having" applies to both of the nouns, "concern" and "curiosity."

Like this:

[{Having} (little concern for others), -conjunction- (a lack of curiosity about the unknown),] the woman made an ineffectual teacher.
  • coolness_rookiecoolness_rookie Posts: 517Registered User Member
    differentiable, I think if what you are saying is true, then there shouldn't use "as well as" as the conjunction in the first place. and there shouldn't be a comma after "little concern for others"