Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Average freshmen ACT score?

Livelifelove14Livelifelove14 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
Does anyone have an estimate for a high school freshmen's ACT score especially if they only have taken algebra 1 and geometry?

Thanks!
Oh & what are the best times to start studying for ACT and what books?
Post edited by Livelifelove14 on

Replies to: Average freshmen ACT score?

• jazzparkjazzpark Posts: 376Registered User Junior Member
    Now is a good time to familiarize yourself with the ACT format. One of the best books I can recommend is the Real ACT Prep Guide, which contains genuine ACT tests from the past.

You cannot be too prepared.
  • cjgonecjgone Posts: 1,520- Senior Member
    Go play with your friends instead of worrying about scores on the ACT..
  • slon02slon02 Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    I'd say that it would be a better investment of your time and energy if you worked on extracurricular activities and school grades instead of working on your ACT. Those two are very important in the college admissions process, and the ACT can wait. Since the ACT is also quite coursework-based, waiting until Junior year before taking it will mean that your schoolwork will prepare you for it.
  • naitou01naitou01 Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    I had a friend that took the ACT as a freshman who had only taken Algebra I and got a 30 on it. Give it a chance, it never hurts to take it.
  • slon02slon02 Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    It never hurts to take it, unless you include time and money as real.
  • rlynch93rlynch93 Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    I'd say the average ACT score for a freshman is 0. I don't really think the average freshman takes the ACT.
  • luckymom38luckymom38 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    My S took his first ACT freshman year in 2009 without studying or preparing. Just walked in and took the test. He got 31 as his baseline. Last year, we purchased a couple of ACT practice books and his score increased significantly in the science section. Even though he is not an outstanding student in his public high school, I agree that it won't hurt to try as long as you don't expect too much. We have not asked to send any scores to colleges yet.

This is my first post and I sure enjoy all the advice and help CC forum provides.
  • grade90210grade90210 Posts: 34Registered User New Member
    I took it at the end of my sophomore year and got a 30..

English is much easier than the SAT
    math is more straightforward than the sat but there is Trigonometry and some Algebra II which I didn't know..
    Science is all data analysis which is easy with practice
    ..check out khanacademy.com to watch lectures and get the math knowledge you need to do well