Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Calculator for SAT/ACT?

internetinternet Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
Which calculator is best for the SAT & ACT? I am used to using the TI-83 Plus edition, but are there any other models that are better for these tests? Any models that have better programs than the other?
Post edited by internet on

Replies to: Calculator for SAT/ACT?

• DesafinadoDesafinado Posts: 773Registered User Member
    TI-83 is great if you really know it. You really don't need any more than that to get an 800. TI-84 what most people I know use, although there are definitely some 89 and nSpire users as well. 89 and nSpire are quite a bit more complicated to learn then 83/84 though they are also considerably more powerful. You can try an 89/nSpire if you've got the time to figure it out though.
  • 314159265314159265 Posts: 4,276Registered User Senior Member
    Be aware that the TI-89 and NSpire CAS (and any other calculator with a Computer Algebra System) aren't allowed on the ACT (but are allowed on the SAT).
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 1,764Registered User Senior Member
    I don't even think TI-89s and above are allowed on SATs, though most proctors don't check. The TI-89 is unnecessary for SAT math.
    ^TI-89's and above (i.e. CAS calculators) are allowed on the SAT (but not the ACT). I'm sure of this.
  • TKsmomTKsmom Posts: 465Registered User Member
    On the ACT page it specifically has a page that lists calculators that are not allowed. TI-89 in Nspire are on the list of not allowed.

TI-83, TI-84 etc are allowed.
  • fignewtonfignewton Posts: 1,411Registered User Senior Member
    Interesting that ACT disallows the TI-89 and Nspire but the College Board does not. Then again, SAT problems never require a calculator (and often aren't amenable to one) whereas some difficult ACT problems could be sidestepped with a high-end calculator.
    ^^The non-CAS NSpire is allowed on the ACT. ACT bans all calculators with a built-in CAS.
  • ATLMOM13ATLMOM13 Posts: 260- Junior Member
    A TI-83 or TI 84 is best for the ACT (you never know if a proctor will know the difference in a non-CAS NSpire) and will be sufficient for the SAT even though you can use a TI 89 or NSpire.
  • diana3diana3 Posts: 208Registered User Junior Member
    I just use the basic old TI-30. :)