Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

i'm a good student, so why are my SAT scores so bad?

new_york_cityxnew_york_cityx Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
i am a B+/A- student in honors and AP classes at a challenging public high school, yet my SAT score is only an 1100 (560 v, 540 m). the average SAT score at my school is around a 1350. i have had private tutoring in effort to raise my score, but it did not help. what am i doing wrong? i try so hard. i don't understand why i can't improve my score. anyone else in the same boat?

maybe it's because i'm a bad test taker? but that can't be it because i got a 700 on the writing SAT II...
Post edited by new_york_cityx on

Replies to: i'm a good student, so why are my SAT scores so bad?

• jpps1jpps1 Posts: 1,993. Senior Member
    You could be a ****ty test-taker. Probably.

The other possibility (and don't get offended) is that you're one of those people who isn't all that bright and just works their ass off.
  • ryan2288ryan2288 Posts: 2,501Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe the questions are just tricky for you. Do you do better on the practice tests? Maybe you tighten up when you take it.
  • neeleshneelesh Posts: 1,285Registered User Senior Member
    i went from a 1050 PSAT (math +verbal only) to a 1370 SAT my third time taking it. I got a 1240,1260 first 2 times, and lemme tell you, i was ****ed!

i think that private tutors aren't really any help, the best help is self help. :-)

if you are taking the old SAT, i suggest you get a math +verbal workbook and do those. that will help you the most. (i suggest PR) Finishing those (and knowing the info) will practically guarantee you a 1200 minimum..i wish i had done a verbal workbook, but i didn't hvae the time. however, i did do a crappie workbook (ARCO) but it actually helped me out i think, or i just did better..660 to 640 to 710 math...i actually suggest Barrons for math, because they give you more math than needed, but you never know, it just might show up on the test.

For verbal, i still suggest PR.

Also, take a lot of practice tests, and memorize sparknotes 1000 most common SAT words found at their site.

this is assuming you are taking the old SAT, and you have time (meaning you are taking it in january)

if you dont have time, borrow a math workbook from the library and do it. that is what i did-i did the book in 5 day. i promise you, your math will go drastically. i bet you will be able to get 650+ on math by doing the workbook..good luck!
  • starynight5starynight5 Posts: 207Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not sure how good this site is, but I came across it the other day while searching for SAT vocab lists: http://www.takesat.com
  • LSALSA Posts: 640Registered User Member
    Don't get too bent out of shape about a bad sat score. I raised my score 200 points in twelve months, and the only difference was an increased familiarity with the test and less being nervous. :)

Honestly, my score reports were ridiculous ... I did great on the more difficult parts, and completely bombed the pre-algebra. I'm convinced it's all about one's mindset on the day of the test and how nervous one is.

final score between 1400-1450 :)
  • zogotozogoto Posts: 2,464Registered User Senior Member
    Ok, so obviously you are bad at taking the SAT I. You did well on the SAT II, which is more subject test matter and not simply "reasoning." Therefore, this is what you have to do. Go buy 10 Real SATs. Take them all and analyze every single question that you got wrong after you finish a test, then go through the verbal section and look up every word you didn't know. Good luck. This method improved my score by 250 pts.
  • tenniscrazetenniscraze Posts: 1,397- Senior Member
    I am in the same boat... 470v/660m i do'nt know what's wrong because I have practised quite a lot on the SATs...
  • krazykamikazekrazykamikaze Posts: 249Registered User Junior Member
    I know what you mean. I was in the same boat as you. Even though I was a really good student, I still only managed to eek out a 1300 (I know for some this is good, but from a student like myself, I expected more). However, undeterred, I prepped for a day or so and improved by 180 points.
  • new_york_cityxnew_york_cityx Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    thanks everyone for your replies!

no, i haven't done any practice tests or anything of that sort. plus, i always PANIC on the SAT's so maybe that's why too.. i need to relax more.
  • justperfectjustperfect Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    dont take another test unless you have practice tests that show you are improving, if you take another you might go up 20 pts or even worse go down 20 pts,