Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT 2170, Retake?

kagami6918kagami6918 Posts: 591Registered User Member
I took the October SAT in my junior year and got a 2170 (CR: 670, M: 770, W: 730). I wasn't satisfied for my CR reading score, and my mom wasn't either, so I retook the SAT in January. Unfortunately, I didn't study very hard, and my CR score improved a little and my M and W score dropped A LOT (CR: 700, M: 700, W: 640, Total: 2040).

Colleges I'm currently considering are:
UC Berkeley (Parent's first choice)
UC Davis (MY first choice)
Pepperdine University (Possibly Third)
Cal Poly (Fourth?)
Santa Clara University (Safety)
UC San Diego
UCLA
Claremont McKenna College
Pitzer College

So, should I study over the summer more and retake the SAT in the fall? Or should I just focus on something else?
Post edited by kagami6918 on

Replies to: SAT 2170, Retake?

• burchmattburchmatt Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    I'm guessing you're in-state. 2170 should be high enough for an in-state student at any of those schools.
  • Star118Star118 Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    can't you send a score consisting of your highest score in each section to those schools?
    i thought college board had that option?
  • kagami6918kagami6918 Posts: 591Registered User Member
    @burchmatt: Yup, I'm in-state. I guess I might be free from SATs then. Thanks for replying!

@Star118: You can pick which scores to send on collegeboard, but some colleges require you to send all your scores, and most pick your highest total SAT score from one single sitting. I think that taking the highest score in each section is called superscoring, and only a few colleges do that. I think that Pepperdine does, actually. If all colleges were like that, I think I'd definitely be okay.
  • neuroyaleneuroyale Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    hmm.. i figure that your SAT score has dropped.... i know that the university superscores and looks at the best score from each category.. But they look at all of your SAT scores..meaning that they would also consider that your SAT score has dropped, which might be negavtive??.. wherease your score should allways increase or stay the same....
    @neuroyale: I'm fervently hoping that they would just think that I just happened to have a bad testing day...haha. Yeah, it probably isn't very good, huh?
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,818Super Moderator Senior Member
    Is nt the next test in October?

Have you taken any subject tests?
    @texaspg: Yes, the next test is in October, so I was considering studying some more over the summer.

I've taken the Math Level 2 Subject Test (800), and the Biology Subject Test. I took Biology-E in freshman year and got a 620, and I just took the Biology-M Subject Test this month and am waiting for the scores.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,818Super Moderator Senior Member
    That is a long preparation cycle. Have you considered taking ACT? Since you seem to be mostly into Cal schools, may be that is not ideal.

2170 is a good score for the schools you are applying to but if there is a weightage in Cal system based on your SAT scores, it may be worthwhile.
  • MarymrMarymr Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    Yes! You should study over the summer more and retake the SAT in the fall!
    Please do! Take ACT as well.
    Study hard for SATs and ACT, write good essays during the application process!
    SATs and ACT score is very, very important extremely important for admission.
  • KonataKonata Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I just wanted to say, love your username, Kagami (:

2170 is a great score! It really sucks how your writing score dropped the second time when your reading and math both increased. Nonetheless you're always pulling above a 2000.

Hope everything goes well for you!
    Hoho, love your name too Konata~ xD

Thanks! :)