Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to get a 5 on the AP US History Test!!!!

phd89phd89 Posts: 376Registered User Member
I have to get a 5 on the U.S. History Ap test what do you think is the formula for getting the five!!!!!!!!!!

is it this

learning amsco+ us history text book = 5

calling all people who got a five on the U.S. History Test
What do i need to do which would gurantee me almost a 80-90% chance of getting a 5 on the U.S. AP exam
Post edited by phd89 on

Replies to: How to get a 5 on the AP US History Test!!!!

• BlueDevilBBallBlueDevilBBall Posts: 691Registered User Member
    awesome essays. getting 7's and above on all the essays assures you that you can get about 50% of the mcq and still be in the 5 range.

if you suck at writing, then get 90% of the mcq's right. i think mcq's count for either 50 or 55% of the entire score, so you can't bomb it completely, whereas one or even two 'so-so' essays will be less detrimental. however, i still say if you get like 8's or 9's on all essays, and you don't get a 5, there is something wrong w/ you.
  • gotenks75gotenks75 Posts: 30Registered User New Member
    REA. That is all that I used to study for the AP (along with having a....decent teacher). You dont have to know every little fact there is, and make sure you can write decent essays. I am pretty sure I got a 5 because of my good MC score and decent essays.
  • MarkSWMarkSW Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    I am taking APUSH as well. Hopefully I can pull off a five since recently i have been able to do well in my class. Most of the other students around me are having a tough time as I am cruising along most of the time. Except this recent test I got a "B" =o...i couldnt believe it. Anyway...i am pretty sure the best way is to read the history book you get and read REA as a supplement. If your teacher sucks, then just do as i said. Sometimes you can do well without reading much of the book as long as your teacher is good. Hopefully i can pul of the 5 and hopefully you can as well.
  • qwertythejediqwertythejedi Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    I agree with gotenks. Use REA. Also practice with past tests. If you know your history, you should have no problem getting a 5.
  • phd89phd89 Posts: 376Registered User Member
    any thing else, how could i prepare for the essays is there like a book and how could i prepare my self for the multiple choice so i feel confident about that 5. Also could i supplement Amsco for REA eventhough i have both or should i prepare form both books at the same time by reading the same chapters from both books!!!!!!!!!
  • amu521amu521 Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    um, at my school we used a college level text called Norton A People and a Nation and I took all the online practice tests on that and tehn I typed all the vocab up in AMSCO with like definitions. My teacher was pretty good though. However I didn't actually read AMSCO or my textbook so take that as you wish.
  • darkrulerIIdarkrulerII Posts: 1,106Registered User Senior Member
    Im kinda worried about the test, b/c although I know the MC questions we do in class like the back of my hand, we have never practiced any DBQs, and any free response essays are just homework.
  • phd89phd89 Posts: 376Registered User Member
    I Need More Informtion Guys Keep Posting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • vu_preuss_06vu_preuss_06 Posts: 1,179Registered User Senior Member
    Don't be like me with dyslexia and see 10:10 on the board as the end time instead of actual 10:01 written, that's how you get screwed over.
  • silas101silas101 Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    i got a 4, hardly opened the book
  • Business_FreakBusiness_Freak Posts: 567. Member
    I also vote for REA.
  • naj7488naj7488 Posts: 134Registered User Junior Member
    I slept through the class itself and then did some quick review (maybe a week before the test) and I got a 5. The amsco book was really quality. I vote you use that book.
  • Business_FreakBusiness_Freak Posts: 567. Member
    AMSCO is good, but its HUGE!
  • BCCBCC Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    Got a 5, hardly opened the book (never finished a single chapter), but had a great teachers. And the notes on the internet and the practice AP test that I took before was helpful.

By the way, last year we had an essay that talked about Civil Rights and I related the movement to X-Men, I thought it was pretty funny. =D

I second REA.
  • naj7488naj7488 Posts: 134Registered User Junior Member
    There is a lot of fluff in it. I always skipped the essay section after each chapter, and then there is a practice test in the back. If you skip that stuff then it's not that bad.