Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT Writing Diction Error?

GujuGeekGujuGeek Posts: 224- Junior Member
Okay I think I've identified a major problem I have when it comes the the multiple choice Identifying Sentence Errors.

When a sentence is suppose to have "No Error," I'll usually just mark one of the words as wrong because I think it sounds funny and therefore I'll trick myself into believing it's a diction error. This accounted for 2 out of my 3 errors on my last practice test!

So my question is that how often do diction errors usually appear on the SAT? (Because obviously it's a lot less than I think) My guess is about 1; is that correct? Can anyone point out any diction error problems in the Blue Book or know any common ones on the SAT?

Also, any tips on how to be confidently put down "No Error" on this section? I for some reason am too wary of their being an error and so I will try to justify one!!! This is a major problem of mine! How many times do No Errors usually show up on the Ident. Sent. Errors Section?

Thanks!
Post edited by GujuGeek on

Replies to: SAT Writing Diction Error?

• mathwizmathwiz Posts: 2,355Registered User Senior Member
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Basically, if the sentence is fine as it is, leave it even if it can be changed into "better English."
  • leafsfanleafsfan Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    in general 1 out of 5 of both the error ID and sentence completions are correct. I usually use that as a general guideline because I have such a hard time being confident about my answers when I can't find anything wrong with the sentence.