Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much do ACT/SAT scores generally increase per year?

TheMichiganianTheMichiganian Posts: 12Registered User New Member
I'm currently a Freshman in high school, and I took the ACT last spring and the a PR practice SAT a few months ago (I took the real SAT in 7th grade but it's probably pretty outdated now). I got a 28 on the ACT and a 1770 on the SAT, and I was wondering around what would be my scores when I take them in my Junior year. I am aiming to get into an Ivy League school, so I need to know how much I should study. Thank you!
Post edited by TheMichiganian on

Replies to: How much do ACT/SAT scores generally increase per year?

• sauternety36sauternety36 Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    I wouldn't have taken the SAT so early - it's not about being smart or anything, just your brain comprehension level. I would actually advise you to improve a lot in the next two years and take it with lots of confidence in your junior or senior year.

In fact, if you want to know my stats, they pretty much tell the story. When I was in sophomore, I got 2180. A the end of my junior year, I got 2390. So I guess age does improve your scores.
  • SheepGetKilledSheepGetKilled Posts: 1,103Registered User Member
    1770 is a good starting point freshman year. I got a 168 (PSAT) sophomore year and ended up steadily increasing until I got a 2250 Senior Year. Here are my scores:

Soph: 168
    Junior: 198
    Mid Junior: 2080
    Late Junior: 2230
    Early Senior: 2230
    Mid Senior: (just took, think I got 2270+)
  • erlangererlanger Posts: 453Registered User Member
    Sheep, mid to late jr year for you was a huge leap. What do you attribute it to?
  • BungalowDillonBungalowDillon Posts: 77Registered User Junior Member
    Here's me:
    Freshman PSAT (first test): 186
    Sophmore PSAT: 212 (lucky on guesses)
    Sophmore ACT: 31
    Juniour PSAT: 212 (unlucky on guesses)
    Late Junior ACT: 33
    Post Junior SAT: 2230

I just took another ACT and SAT, both of which I feel great about. I didn't study for any of this, but obviously took a lot of tests, so I knew what they were like. You'll learn a lot just by High-school if you take decent classes.
  • TheMichiganianTheMichiganian Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Wow, didn't realize how smart everyone was. :P How did you all prepare for the test? I got the official SAT and ACT guides and I'm going through them every week or so, but any other suggestions on what to do?
  • ajeck513ajeck513 Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    My tips: look over vocab for SAT, and just get familiar with each test, e.g. I'm sure you've noticed how time management techniques differ between the two tests.
    Tbh, I never really used any other books to study, and didn't really study at all for my last SAT/ACT, except for some practice problems, a review of essay topics, and vocab for SAT.

My improvement:
    6th Grade: ~1100-1200/1600 (for talent program lol)
    Sophomore PSAT: 206
    Junior PSAT: 218 (1 question off NMSF...why did I go to sleep at 1 the night before?)
    Mid Junior SAT: 2280
    March Junior ACT: 35
    June Junior ACT: 36
    October SAT: 2400
  • bei22000bei22000 Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    ajeck513
    For a person who is very solid acedemically, like you, I guess your score can be improved
    over time with a minimum of preparations. However, for some who have obvious short fall, such as very low score on math, they definitely need to study on the weak areas first to improve the overral score.