Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What the hell is wrong with this sentence?

number287number287 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
(Despite) its cultural importance, the Daily Gazette (lost) 70 percent of its subscribers since 1920 and, by 1955, (was loosing) (as much as) $ 200,000 a year. (no error).
Post edited by number287 on

Replies to: What the hell is wrong with this sentence?

• number287number287 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    someone plz help..
  • saeedajmalsaeedajmal Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    I think, its B
  • tizzy26tizzy26 Posts: 189Registered User Junior Member
    It's probably B.. But the way you typed it C is also wrong, because "loosing" isn't the right word at all.

Was it a typo?
  • KakaoukoKakaouko Posts: 96Registered User Junior Member
    I'd opt for "lost". "Since" indicates praesent perfect, so it should be "have lost"
  • IceQubeIceQube Posts: 3,184Registered User Senior Member
    number287 wrote:
    (Despite) its cultural importance, the Daily Gazette (lost) 70 percent of its subscribers since 1920 and, by 1955, (was loosing) (as much as) $ 200,000 a year. (no error).

"Since" triggers the present perfect. The present perfect tense is used to express something that has started in the past and ended in the present. Change "lost" to "has lost."

As the sentence reads, "lost" is in the simple past. The simple past cannot be used to express a continuous action - e.g. the loss of subscribers from 1920 to 1955.
  • number287number287 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    The correct ans is B. Thnx guys.
  • brittanycb94brittanycb94 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    I would think it's C because was loosing and lost are not parallel. (the verb tenses need to match)
  • familyof3boysfamilyof3boys Posts: 1,208Registered User Senior Member
    not to mention that it's spelled "losing" not "loosing"