Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Compensating for Math SAT I

pupperdoodlespupperdoodles Posts: 9Registered User New Member
Question:

In your opinion, can someone offset their 700+ Math SAT with the rest of their math background and scores?

For instance, a student taking Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations in their senior year (which is unprecedented at my high school) who after taking AB Calc self studied the BC content and got a 5 on the AB subscore and 4 on the BC score.

Also, an 800 on the Math II SAT Subject test.
And an 800 on the CR section if that helps compensate as well.

Some math extracurriculars include co-founding Math Club and introducing the AMC to my high school as well as acting as a teacher's assistant for this year's AP Calc class.

Would this background compensate for a non-perfect SAT I Math score?

With a 700+ Math score, is this sufficient math background and demonstrated proficiency to apply as a math or science major at a top university like Princeton?

Also, is it common knowledge among admissions that a 700-750 score can amount to missing between 3 to 4 questions? And, how do you think this would fare for a student who is white compared to one who is half hispanic? Does affirmative action play into this?

And, just as a disclaimer, I don't think this is a BAD score at all, just concerning when dealing with competitive admissions and when applying as a math major.

Thank you! And any feedback is appreciated greatly
Post edited by pupperdoodles on

Replies to: Compensating for Math SAT I