Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"Rounding" Composite ACT Scores

rmldadrmldad Posts: 1,301Registered User Senior Member
Does anyone have any insight to whether adcoms typically view ACT Composite scores simply as a whole number, or do they calculate the exact composite average and use this number?

Asking this another way, is a Composite of 33.50 (34M, 34E, 33R, 33S) viewed as less impressive than a Composite of 34.25 (34M, 34E, 34R, 35S)?

Of course, DD has a 33.50. Her reported 34 puts her solidly in the range for tippy top schools to which she is applying, but if it is viewed more as a 33 then we might decide that it is prudent for her to try one more time.
Post edited by rmldad on

Replies to: "Rounding" Composite ACT Scores

• rmldadrmldad Posts: 1,301Registered User Senior Member
    Does anyone know whether ACT scores are "rounded"?
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 19,971Super Moderator Senior Member
    They don't recalculate but they do look at the composite and then the sub scores. I wouldn't worry about retesting.
  • jennielingjennieling Posts: 339Registered User Member
    The composite should have been written on her ACT report as 34, right? They round up--ie they don't even put down the decimal number (ie 33.5), so her composite is a 34. Now I'm assuming you meant that those 4 scores and the composite of 34 were on one single sitting. If she has taken it multiple times, then some colleges (not all, but many) will "superscore" her ACT: ie they take the top science, top math, top reading, and top English--even if each is from a different sitting (ie different date)--and average those. My son's highest sitting was a 34, but his superscore (over 3 sittings) is a 35. As you can see in the "Academics" section of the Common App, they ask for the top score in each area and its date--so it is basically looking at a superscore. However, if your daughter has only taken the ACT once, then this "superscore" discussion wouldn't apply to you! Good luck to her!