Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dr. Chung Typo?

tomatox1tomatox1 Posts: 819Registered User Member
Could someone please explain#16 on page 350 of Dr. Chung's book?
It says the answer is 2:1, but how come I do it and the answer is 4:1?
Post edited by tomatox1 on

Replies to: Dr. Chung Typo?

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    Do you mind typing/pasting the question so that we can see it? (Sorry I don't have any test preparation books with me).
  • Dream4LifeDream4Life Posts: 450Registered User Member
    i did this test like two months ago, but what i think i might have done is that i just chose lengths w/ a ratio of 2/3. then a chose a random number for the base and calc. their areas, which then ended up being 2:1. for ex.) i chose BE as 2, and DE as 1. then i assinged the base as 4(the base of only one of the tringales, not the whole thing) . so the area of AEB would be (4*2)/2 and AED (4*1)/2. the ratio is then 4:2 which is 2:1. I hope my explanations is not that cinfusing. ask about any questions.=)
  • tomatox1tomatox1 Posts: 819Registered User Member
    ohh ok, my problem was that I thought that because the ratio of the lengths was 2k:1k then the answer would be 4k^2/k^2, but that only works if both height and length change as in the radius of a circle :)