Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

PSAT Class of 2014 Commendation

violinmaniac101violinmaniac101 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to college confidential. I got my scores back today and I am a junior in NJ (Class of 2014). My scores were this:

CR-63
M-76
W-64
Total- 203

I am REALLY stressing out whether or not I got a letter for commended. Any hope based on this? Any scholarship opportunities? Don't be afraid to share your scores below too!
Post edited by violinmaniac101 on

Replies to: PSAT Class of 2014 Commendation

• wpgm51wpgm51 Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I think you have a pretty good chance at commended. The cutoff last year was 200 and the year before it was 202. I don't think that it has ever been above 203.
  • neesayneesay Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    will a 212 make it in florida?
  • violinmaniac101violinmaniac101 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    The cutoff for commended is national, so therefore you made it. But as far as merit, Florida fluctuates between 210-215 so I would keep my hopes up and pray that its the same as last year's, which was 211.
  • InvisibleMatterInvisibleMatter Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    I am nervous about my chances for getting commended... would you guys say that it is possible to get commended for being in the 96th percentile, but only having a score of 197?
  • DelBoyandRodneyDelBoyandRodney Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    InvisibleMatter, I was in the 96th as well, but right under 200 and would like to know the same thing.
  • awesome1114awesome1114 Posts: 250Registered User Junior Member
    I hate living in Maryland. I got a 215 (I should've studied..oh well). In most states this would qualify for semifinalist but in Maryland it has to be like a 221-223 cutoff are you serious
    Invisible- I believe its the 96th onwards for commended, but I probably know as much as you do on this.
    Rodney- It depends on your score as well because top 50,000 is about 3.3% . Therefore, you must be in the top range of the 96-ers.
    Awesome- I feel you bro. The cutoff in NJ is the same and my friend had the same score.
  • awesome1114awesome1114 Posts: 250Registered User Junior Member
    does being a commended student still look good on apps? it make me so mad because I took my SAT a month later and got a 2340 without studying...how do you go from a 215 to a 2340...
  • sojuicysojuicy Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    does being a commended student still look good on apps? it make me so mad because I took my SAT a month later and got a 2340 without studying...how do you go from a 215 to a 2340...

Depends on how good the rest of your app is. If you're a star student, it probably doesn't make a difference. It'll never hurt, though.
  • RhythmMeleonRhythmMeleon Posts: 480Registered User Member
    202 -_____-
  • glidoglido Posts: 5,035Registered User Senior Member
    A 203 will make commended.
    Thanks everyone! Anyways..... can someone answer my plea on my other thread? Its titled 2040 to 2200+ by January. Just search violinmaniac101.... should come up. Thanks!
  • carojasminecarojasmine Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    I know what you mean...I got a 212 here in Virginia. Virginia's cutoff is pretty high (like Maryland) because of the schools near DC. I live next to the West VA border and it is a very different side of VA, but unfortunately the whole state is under the same cutoff. :(
  • TadakichiTadakichi Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    Got a 234 down here in AL. My school's soo competitive though :/
  • aaronk430aaronk430 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    Hey people from Florida, anyone's Psat score get released in Hillsborough County?? I havent gotten mine, and I took mine in October.