Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Freshman SAT Score

swoo0525swoo0525 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
Hello and I hope everyone had a Happy Christmas,

I took the SAT for the first time, without studying, on collegeboard.org and I got a 1730. I understand that that is okay, but where could I get it up to by Sophomore of Junior year if I started studying? Please also consider the fact that I am a freshman.

Math-540 (sigh*)
Critical Reading-590
Writing-600

Thanks in advance
Post edited by swoo0525 on

Replies to: Freshman SAT Score

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    Depends...if you haven't taken algebra or geometry, you have a lot to learn and you can increase your math score by quite a bit. Can't really predict your sophomore or junior year scores, but I'd say 1900-2100 with a reasonable amount of studying. Of course it could be higher or lower.
  • swoo0525swoo0525 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    Assuming I study my a$$ off, what are the chances of 2300+ by Junior or Sophomore year?
  • musiclover31musiclover31 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    As a freshmen, you still don't know most of the math skills that will be on the SAT. I say wait till your junior year and take it in November then June (if needed). Your reading skills will also develop over the years. Good luck!
  • rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    I mean, you might have already learned algebra II and geometry, I don't know. However a 540 is fairly weak so I doubt it. You have two years to build up your math skills (as well as reading, writing).
  • callz109callz109 Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    I started out with a 1750 on my diagnostic test and after I took an SAT prep class I got it up to a 2200+
  • Whatdoyouthink36Whatdoyouthink36 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    alas, the math needs to come up. luckily it's the easiest one to improve so your chances of significant improvement are there
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 7,529Registered User Senior Member
    As an anecdote:
    I took the SAT as a freshman too. I got a 580 on the math.
    But my projected SAT math score from the junior year PSAT was 730.
    I didn't really do much studying at all, it was just the knowledge I had gained. The math portion isn't really hard as long as you've learned the stuff.
  • BoundForBostonBoundForBoston Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    As a freshman I got a score that was very similar to yours (175 on the PSAT) and by doing almost nothing over the course of a year, it went up 18 points to a 193. If you were to study quite a bit over the year, I'm sure you'd be able to make a score that would almost qualify you for NSMF status as a sophomore, and then in the next year, before you take it for real, study a bit more to raise your score comfortably above the NMSF score zone.

Best of luck.
  • notredameirishnotredameirish Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    I was in your situation too when I was a freshman, but in the summer between sophomore and junior year, I studied really hard and got a 2200. So, yeah, you definitely have time
  • ZeeLiamZeeLiam Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Nothing is impossible, so it's certainly silly to say you won't be able to get a 2300+ if you study enough. Study your ass off and see what happens. If your score goes up to around a 2100 by Sophomore year, you might be able to get it up to a 2300+ by the time you're a senior. It's going to be a combination of intelligence and work ethic.
  • mapletree7mapletree7 Posts: 346Registered User Member
    As a freshmen, you still don't know most of the math skills that will be on the SAT. I say wait till your junior year and take it in November then June (if needed). Your reading skills will also develop over the years. Good luck!

Actually, the SAT I covers Algebra I only, so a freshman would know all of it.
  • Bounty123Bounty123 Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    With a sat prep course you can be taught techniques to reach 2100