Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

National Merit Recognition 2014

auntyroseauntyrose Posts: 5Registered User New Member
I took the PSAT as a junior in October 2012 and got a 211. I live in Idaho.... if that is necessary information haha. I've tried to do research about how the National Merit program works, but I'm pretty confused. Am I supposed to find out this month if I made some sort of cutoff? Is the cutoff by state, or it is national? DID I MAKE IT?! Ugh I'm dying to find out. Thanks!
Post edited by auntyrose on

Replies to: National Merit Recognition 2014

• sosomenzasosomenza Posts: 2,122- Senior Member
    The PSAT is a weird gig. But there are several good threads on this site that explain the multiple steps of the scholarship process. Anyway, I believe the NMSF scores will not come out until Oct of your senior year. GL
  • billcshobillcsho Posts: 6,360Registered User Senior Member
    Commended list should have been sent to school this week.
  • jjollmeunnoodlesjjollmeunnoodles Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I'm almost positive that you are commended because in NJ, where the curve is generally a bit tougher, a score of 211 is definitely commended. I'm not so sure about being a semi-finalist though
  • PCwizCubePCwizCube Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    For the PSATs, there are three levels you can reach:
    1) Commended
    2) Semi-finalist
    3) Finalist

I don't know much about being commended, but if you make the cutoff score for being a semi-finalist, they'll notify you around August or later of your senior year. The cutoff score depends on the year and the state. I think the cutoffs range from around 210 to 223.

If you become a semi-finalist, then you'll have to do some additional stuff, including writing a short essay. You'll be notified around March of your senior year if you become a finalist. From then on you can get some scholarship money.
  • kjcphmomkjcphmom Posts: 642Registered User Member
    OP, go the financial forum. On the top of the financial forum there is a link that says National Merit Scholarships. When you go into this forum there are a few links on top that explain the entire process. You can also post some questions there and very knowledgeable people will help. They can even tell you what the cut-off for Idaho was last year so you will get an idea if you might even be close to being a semi-finalist. Good luck.
  • ahsmuohahsmuoh Posts: 827Registered User Member
    You will definitely be commended. Always either 200 or 201. Don't know about your specific state for NMSF. Official numbers will not be out until October of next year.
  • celesterobertscelesteroberts Posts: 1,374Registered User Senior Member
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1379508-official-national-merit-semifinalist-qualifying-score-thread-class-2013-a-55.html

You will find out in September. But every year there is a thread: 'National Merit Semifinalist Qualifying Score Thread for 20XX" and about page 40-50 results start coming in in late August when some people get notified early by their schools. So you can find out a bit earlier. Looks like you have a very good chance. Idaho was 207 last year and 211 the year before. Check back more years on the threads to see if it's ever been higher. U of Idaho, Moscow offers free ride to NMFs. You will need to make finalist to be eligible for the best scholarships. Don't get more than 1 C, or 2 at most. No Cs is better. And take the SAT, get score about 2000. There are lots of informative threads in National Merit forum.
  • billcshobillcsho Posts: 6,360Registered User Senior Member
    The cut off for commended is 203.
  • MichMom2014MichMom2014 Posts: 2Registered User New Member