Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I keep getting 5 wrong on the math section?

RhythmMeleonRhythmMeleon Posts: 481Registered User Member
I keep getting 3-5 questions wrong on the math section and it's super aggravating. 5 wrong may not seem that bad, but in reality it brings me under a 700. What should I do? I'm going to be taking the SAT I in October and I NEED a 730+.
Post edited by RhythmMeleon on

Replies to: I keep getting 5 wrong on the math section?

• glidoglido Posts: 5,076Registered User Senior Member
    Keep track of the specific questions you get wrong. Look up the correct answers. Do them over and over until you get them correct. There is plenty of time. Best of luck!
  • muhammad9211muhammad9211 Posts: 1,002Registered User Senior Member
    Chances are ur falling for the same trick repeatedly. Go slowly to reduce careless errors and understand ur errors so u dont make them again
  • MITer94MITer94 Posts: 1,024Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, it's likely due to careless errors. I'm pretty sure you are capable of scoring 800 otherwise. Work a little slower, be organized with your work, and check that your answer works (perhaps by plugging in the answer, or by doing the problem a different way).
  • canadianhopelesscanadianhopeless Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    I have the same problem. And I am not making the same mistakes again and again because when I look back I know the right answer.
    Help!!
  • MITer94MITer94 Posts: 1,024Registered User Senior Member
    The following article might be helpful:
    Stop Making Stupid Mistakes
  • ApdenoatisApdenoatis Posts: 320Registered User Member
    I had the exact same issue. If you're falling for the same trick over and over as someone else said, then you need to rectify that and do lots of that kind of math problem. If you're making careless mistakes as mentioned above, you need to do a lot more math problems to solidify your skills. In either case you need to do a lot more practice. It doesn't matter if you know how to do the problem; for most people that's not enough. You have to do a lot of practice in addition to figuring out your mistakes.

Any SAT workbook should do, whether it's Princeton Review, Collegeboard, Kaplan, Barron's, whatever. Do one section from any of these books daily, or two if you feel especially ambitious and have the resources. You're going to keep getting 4 or 5 wrong for a while but after a few weeks you'll notice the number start to lower a little. Just do it up until test day. After doing this for three months, I pulled up a score of 660 to 760 - take my word for it, I didn't believe I had to do so much repetition either, but the work paid off.