Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How many times can we take the SAT?

EBHSSATEBHSSAT Posts: 209Registered User Junior Member
I'm not sure about it. My tutor teacher says that high school students can take only three times. No more than three times! Is it right?
I'm still not sure. If it is, I have to ajust my schedule.
Post edited by EBHSSAT on

Replies to: How many times can we take the SAT?

• whatever78whatever78 Posts: 427Registered User Member
    u can take it more than 3 times, but it starts to look a little sketchy if u do
  • thecalccobrathecalccobra Posts: 902Registered User Member
    Umm I have taken the SAT 9 times...... yeah so it doens't matter.
  • .:Indian:..:Indian:. Posts: 896Registered User Member
    ummmm...9 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats..uhhh... 27-28 hours and a pretty penny spent for this...

what did your final composite end up being?
  • CRbomber650CRbomber650 Posts: 196Registered User Junior Member
    wow...thats alot of sat's
  • Mountain DewMountain Dew Posts: 359- Member
    Study extremely hard on each SAT and make sure you are ready, so you won't have to waste money on these many attempts.

I say 3 is enough.
  • Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    Don't take it more than 3 or so times. If you take it more, it looks like you were over anxious to perfect your score and just doesn't look that great on college apps. Yeah, as someone else asked, thecalccobra, what was your final composite score?
  • setzwxmansetzwxman Posts: 356Registered User Member
    I think that question has been debated countless times on this website, and usually the end conclusion is the same: when colleges say they will take your highest score, they will. Some, like MIT or whatever, specifically state that taking it for a certain number of times or more basically will not sit well with them, but it seems that the majority of universities do not care.

However, the more practical and beneficial way for you is probably to do as much practice as you can prior to your testing, so you only have to take it 1-3 times to achieve your goal score. You won't end up paying a ton of money to the CB and wasting so much time. I wasted two sittings in 2004 because I was under the impression that simply taking it w/ little-no outside prep was enough practice...imo, that just isn't the case. It is most likely that you'll be better off conducting your practice before you take it.
  • aznoverachieveraznoverachiever Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    JW:
    how many times does MIT recommend taking the SAT?

what other colleges or universities do not recommend taking the SAT more than a certain number of times (less than 3)?

most colleges look down on applicants that take the SAT more than 3 times...

50% of kids take it AT LEAST twice

I'm in the 50% of kids that only had to take it once...=P (and no, my score was not terrible; for those who care about my score, you can look at my other postings)
  • jli2006jli2006 Posts: 359Registered User Member
    Is it true that SAT scores from sophomore year do not count?
  • scandal-lessscandal-less Posts: 399Registered User Member
    jli sats from any year count. they just take your best composite grades
  • aznoverachieveraznoverachiever Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    unless you did the Midwest Talent Search in middle school (grades 6-8), SATs count no matter when you take it