Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Arco/Peterson's Study Guide - Harder than the real thing?

Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
I've been practicing with the Arco (or Peterson's - I think it's called either) study guide for the ACT....and I've been consistently getting around a 26 in English (the grammar section). I got a 26 on that same section three years ago, in eighth grade. I took the SAT and got a 790 in writing (80 on MC). I got in the high 70s on the PSAT. My question is, is the Arco/Peterson's ACT much harder than the actual one? If it isn't, any idea what is going on? Help!

(Note: I posted this in the ACT thread too, but realized it'd probably get more views/responses here).
Post edited by Annie88 on

Replies to: Arco/Peterson's Study Guide - Harder than the real thing?

• Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    Anyone have any advice at all?
  • arpster55arpster55 Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    yes, I think so
  • rhassanlrhassanl Posts: 131. Junior Member
    I've never used Arco; I tried Barron's 2400 and was blown away by its difficulty. Kaplan I don't use anymore, I dispute several of their "correct" choices. It was really funny how I'd get a 27/39 on Kaplan's test, then a 37/39 on the College Board's.

Lots of really good SAT Books will tell you that other SAT Books' answers are sometimes wrong; also, they test you on concepts that won't be on the test. How retarded it would be to study for something that won't be on the test.

REALLY Good book: Up Your Score 2005-2006
  • Annie88Annie88 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    I think you guys are right. I just took one of the "Real ACT" practice tests and scored a 34 on English so...
  • ==paki====paki== Posts: 223Registered User Junior Member
    Annie88, I hear ya. I actually tried out Peterson's ACT but missed like 7 questions/28 and was like *&$%#@ because I got a 29 on the real thing 3 months ago by missing at max 10. So yes, the Peterson's ACT (english) is much harder than the real thing.