Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Reuters: How Asian test-prep companies swiftly exposed the brand-new SAT

14567810»

Replies to: Reuters: How Asian test-prep companies swiftly exposed the brand-new SAT

• ivysourceivysource Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    Khan academy, etc. is only accessible online, so I don't see why they would have a problem with a computer test. The problem is that high schools don't have the infrastructure to have dedicated computer workstations. It would have to be outsourced to dedicated computer testing centers.
  • BCSBwisdomBCSBwisdom Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Too bad the recycled test materials don't happen the other way around ;)
  • PlotinusPlotinus Registered User Posts: 870 Member
    There have been several GMAT and GRE cheating scandals. CAT tests are not immune to cheating. Some cheating methods have included using imposters and groups passing on questions from the pool while they are still "live".

While I am sure Bill Gates is throwing money at Khan Academy in part because he would love to see the SAT moved from paper to screens (preferably Surface Tablets), this would make the test less user-friendly for underprivileged students, and so would be probably be seen as giving the advantaged people another advantage.

I don't think CB is going to go down that path now. I also wonder how many underprivileged students are using Khan Academy. According to a recent NY Times article about SAT prep in NYC public schools, the schools are bringing in live tutors. Khan Academy does not seem to be a satisfactory option for these students.
  • ivysourceivysource Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    edited May 2016
    Khan isn't all it's cracked up to be. Few students have the patience to learn from a video instead of from a live tutor. The problem is that a video might take 5 minutes to watch, but there is only one small issue that needs clarification. For this reason, I prefer pictorial and/or text explanations to video explanations...they are much easier to skim through to find the needed information.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 8,896 Senior Member
  • zindabadzindabad Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    edited June 2016
    Sat and ACT need to do better job to stop cheating, limit # of tests in year and with fresh material only.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 50,231 Senior Member
    Maybe cheaters need to stop cheating.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 8,896 Senior Member
    Both (A) and (B).

The ACT and CB need to stop recycling tests and get serious about test security.

Cheaters need to be caught and punished, or, better yet, get some ethics and stop cheating.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,256 Senior Member
    (I almost always agree with @marvin100. This is an example.)
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Security for the gaokao, China's national college entrance exam:

http://www.chinadailyasia.com/chinafocus/2016-06/06/content_15445254.html
    Besides jamming phone signals, many schools will for the first time use face-recognition software, fingerprint verification and close-circuit cameras to combat cheating during the gaokao.

Separately, education authorities will monitor vehicles that transport test papers and track them with the Global Positioning System (GPS).

These high-tech measures - together with new legislation that criminalises exam-cheating - make this year's gaokao "the strictest ever", according to Chinese media reports.

Tbe College Board's SAT nonsecurity in China is a joke by comparison.
  • pakiman2pakiman2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Image is #1 priority. If these changes are real or just cosmetic, time will tell.
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.