Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

SAT concordance table - compare old and new SAT scores

Replies to: SAT concordance table - compare old and new SAT scores

• hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    In all the cases I viewed, the 25-75 combined scores are simply the sum of the individual scores. I don't think that's accurate because that assumes 100% correlation between a person's verbal score and math score.
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    @suzyQ7 said:
    I think ACT is just ticked because CB has not worked with them on these ACT/CB concordance.
    Would you trust your opponent to be a fair referee?
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,913 Senior Member
    No, I wouldn't. However, the concordance tables make the ACT look like a harder test, which makes ACT top scores look better. I think this makes the ACT look like a better test, and the SAT look easy
  • YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,371 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    @itsgettingreal17 Having the 75th percentile be a perfect score would mean that the top 25% of students at least would have a perfect score. That seems crazy, but the overall percentile for a SAT 1600 must now be somewhere close to the percentile range for an ACT 35.

ACT 36 is reported to be 99.96 %ile. ACT 35 is reported to be 99.7 %ile.

Wow, the Compass Prep conversions say that 5 colleges have a 75th %ile combined score of 1600, 5 have a 75th %ile new SAT EBRW score of 800, and 17 have a 75th %ile new SAT Math score of 800
  • ivysourceivysource Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    There's no way that a perfect score would ever be 75th percentile. Yes, the new SAT scores and percentiles are both being inflated...but definitely not by that much.
  • newsattakernewsattaker Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I got a 1300 on the SAT, which converts to an 1820. But I was in the 91st percentile and an 1820 is in a much lower percentile. Can someone please respond on what's going on over at collegeboard or if the concordance tables will change as more new SATs are given.
  • MamelotMamelot Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    The Compass table is very helpful; however, a few universities - Carnegie Mellon, for example - admit to the various colleges rather than just one undergraduate college so general SAT ranges may not be as helpful. Therefore, it's a good idea to look on the individual websites as well and, if necessary, do those college-by-college conversions using the Score Converter.
  • GMKoonGMKoon Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    @newsattaker This is really interesting. Does this mean less "smart" students took the March sitting and the percentile got messed up?
  • GMKoonGMKoon Registered User Posts: 558 Member
    Apparently, a 26 ACT is a 1310 new SAT.
  • SkyepopSkyepop Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I think the percentages are worded differently now are they not? Instead of for example a"98% scored lower" isn't it "99% score the same or lower" so there is that too.
  • SkyepopSkyepop Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    edited May 2016
  • MamelotMamelot Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    @newsattaker @GMKoon there are a couple things going on: 1) when you get your percentiles for a particular test, it's never the actual curve FOR THAT TEST. Instead it's a curve based on previous administrations of the test. However, that obviously doesn't exist for the initial administration of the revised test. So they have to use a "research study" to arrive at those User Group percentiles. If that study was conducted poorly (as seemed to be the case for the new PSAT) OR if the actual student population taking the initial test was so completely different as to render the research study unrepresentative (such as hords of students avoiding the exam this year on the advice of counsellors, test prep experts, or just due to uncertainty), then you are going to see percentiles that could well be out-of-whack with any concordance table. That's why it's so important to go off of the latter because at least there is a comparison to actual results of something. 2) Even assuming similar populations, the new SAT is just different from the old one - new questions, new format, new scaling. That actually makes concordance between new and old to be something that is at best an estimate. A concordance table is still needed, of course, but it's not going to be as accurate as, say, a concordance explaining just scale differences.

So there's a lot of noise (i.e. uncertainty) pertaining both to the user percentiles AND to the concordance. Which one has more accurate information? I'm betting it's the concordance. First of all, the administration of the new PSAT has already revealed GLARING differences between the user group percentiles and concordance with the latter proving to be a much better indicator of what state cut-offs are going to be this year. CB might really have messed up their research studies. Second, although it may seem like CB prepared those concordance tables for the CC crowd, in reality they prepared them for two important customer groups: high school counselors and college Adcoms. They are going to put a lot of thought into those tables. The user percentiles are really only College Readiness benchmarks and that's something that the obviously-college-bound don't really need to worry about at this point.

A couple more points while I'm on the soapbox:

OF COURSE the competition is going to use the current turmoil to gain market share. They'd be fools not to. Hence little gems like this one are very likely going to be part of their marketing strategy over the next year: http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/Scores-You-Can-Trust.pdf

Playing it safe by avoiding the test altogether might work as a strategy but most likely Adcoms can tell when an applicant tries to play it safe. Those who need to take the SAT or who WANT to take the SAT should do so w/o trepidation or worries about "how colleges will respond to the test" or fears that they are being experimented upon. Whether it's a good test is really between College Board and their deep pocketed clientele (hint: that's not you, students and parents). Worries that the students will get burned are most likely unfounded. If anything, these kids who took the March test should get brownie points for bucking conventional wisdom and taking a risk.
  • bucketDadbucketDad Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    @Mamelot Do you think colleges will just take the new SAT scores they receive this fall, perform their own statistical analysis based on actual test takers, and ignore the noise coming from the CB?
  • SonOfAbrahamSonOfAbraham Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    @bucketDad they wil most likely just focus on the percentile
  • mmk2015mmk2015 Registered User Posts: 542 Member
    Is it really worth all this uncertainty and stress?

ACT C25, C30, C34: At least we know what those numbers mean.

SAT 1300, 1400, 1500: What do those numbers mean? Are they enough for target schools? Who knows.

Sometimes it's better to just wait until the dust settles before charging in.