Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Must You Submit All SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject Test Scores

Replies to: Must You Submit All SAT, ACT, or SAT Subject Test Scores

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 24,463 Super Moderator
    edited January 7
    I'm assuming they want all scores so they can ding you if one of your scores is lower than your best score.
    You assume incorrectly. No college is going to "ding" you for a lower score; if anything, they will expect that scores improve over time. As to why some colleges request all scores, I believe that Jeff Brenzel, the former Dean of Admissions at Yale, expressed it best.
    “We believe that our policy maintains a more level playing field for low-income students who cannot afford repeated testing or the expensive test preparation that often accompanies it,” Brenzel wrote. “We also hope that this policy will help to discourage excessive testing and help to simplify testing issues for all of our applicants.”
    http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2009/01/15/yale-to-require-all-sat-scores/
  • LakeCloudsLakeClouds Registered User Posts: 568 Member
    We believe that our policy maintains a more level playing field for low-income students who cannot afford repeated testing or the expensive test preparation that often accompanies it

This is saying they will ding you for multiple test scores to "level the playing field." He's being vague about the exact mechanism they will use. Obvious choice includes averaging the results, throwing out the highest score, choosing a median value, etc.

Does anyone know how College Board indicates to school's whether they are sending all scores or just selected scores? Is this indicated on the report CB sends them?
  • drusbadrusba Registered User Posts: 9,095 Senior Member
    edited January 8
    ^As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, neither CB nor ACT provides a college with anything to even indicate you took a test that is withheld. However, your high school, which gets all your test scores, may put all your scores on your high school transcript so you need to check what your high school does.
  • mohammadmohd18mohammadmohd18 Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    edited January 8
    If the ACT charges money for each test, as well as each college, does CB have the same pricing? Or do they only charge you per SAT test you send? Or they send all your scores to each college, and charge you for each college?
    edited January 9
    ^ACT requires you to send each test in a separate order to a college and thus you have to pay multiple fees to send multiple tests to one college. College Board will always send all tests it has for you to a college, both SAT and subject tests, in a single order and thus for a single fee per college, but you can prevent one or more tests from being sent by exercising score choice (online when ordering you uncheck the one(s) you don't want sent).
  • AmyForeverAmyForever Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    The All Scores rule is quite controversial there is no centralized mechanism leading to confusion and diverging from to there...I recently given my SAT test its :(
  • e4e6d4d5e4e6d4d5 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Do you have to send state testing ACT scores for all choice schools? Also does deleting scores work for all score schools?
    edited March 1
    ^Those that require all ACT scores include both state and national testing . None have stated any rule that prohibits you from deleting a test. However, be aware that deleting a test through ACT, which can be done after getting scores for a national test but not a state mandated test, takes a little time, meaning, for example, you cannot choose a week before the date that scores are due with a college to delete a test because it takes more than a week to do it. Also, deleting through ACT may not succeed in hiding a test score because your high school may still have it on the official high school transcript sent to colleges.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    Villanova requires all scores to be sent.
    This is their policy

Candidates are asked to submit their scores from each sitting of the SAT or ACT. The Admission Committee will review the highest critical reading/evidence-based reading and writing and highest math scores from the SAT and/or the highest ACT composite from different subscores and dates for admission, also known as "superscoring."
    edited March 1
    ^You need to distinguish between "ask" and "require." Villanova's stating that candiates are "asked" to send all scores because it superscores does not mean it requires all scores and it has no penalty for failure to provide all scores.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    Colleges will not ding you for a lower score, most will super_score. What you get dinged or is taking the SAT or ACTs too many times, as they don't like applicants that are too test focused. They're ok with taking it twice as most improve, but if they see 3 SATs, 2 ACTs, 7 subject tests....
    UPDATE: In my lead post. I noted that Bernard requires all SATs and ACTs you have taken but you can send whatever subject tests you want to send. That is still true but as Bernard now explains, it will no longer use subject tests to determine admission so it is generally pointless to send them, see https://admissions.barnard.edu/apply-barnard/faq and open "Do you require SAT subject tests?" Bernard has gone from requiring subject tests to recommending them, to just considering them if sent, to no longer considering them, in a space of about three years.
  • oldestchild11oldestchild11 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    So if I did well on my SAT do I need to send my ACT to Georgetown as well or can I just send my SAT scores
    ^Georgetown is a complete "all scores" university in that it requirers all SATs, all ACTs, and all subject tests. See "Test Requirements" at https://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/firstyear/preparation. It appears to be the only college that actually requires all sittings of all three tests, as others with an all scores rule allow you to submit all of either the SAT or ACT, except that Stanford and Bernard require all SATs and all ACTs but do not require all or any subject tests
  • waterbrether725waterbrether725 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @Nata11 "My daughter got 1560 from the first try. Should she take a test one more time?"

It depends on her. 1560 is a great score(puts her in the 99.8% of all test takers). If she retakes it for the 1600, she would probably move up a very small percentage(.16?.18?,Something like that)

If it was me, I would focus on other things then if I have spare time, take it again for fun.