Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Finally, College Board makes it easier for students with disabilities to get SAT accommodations

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,257 Senior Member
"... The College Board, which owns the SAT, just announced that starting Jan. 1, “the vast majority” of students who have special education plans that already include accommodations for testing — such as extra time, sitting in a separate room, and/or having the test read to the student — will receive automatic approval for the same accommodations when taking the SAT, PSAT 10, PSAT/NMSQT, SAT subject tests and AP exams." ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/12/02/finally-college-board-makes-it-easier-for-students-with-disabilities-to-get-sat-accommodations/

Replies to: Finally, College Board makes it easier for students with disabilities to get SAT accommodations

• explorer16explorer16 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    They only did that for show. Because congress had been getting after them about having ridiculous requirements and being worried about test integrity (which is a valid concern!). They lost and instead of just giving access, they now have to provide testing that shows a student's abilities. So they are pretending to comply, but at the same time, they did not update their website for the counselors to allow them this streamlined submission, and they say they will ask for documentation if needed, but they don't ask for the IEP or 504 before denying. So, then students have to file an appeal which is all the same documentation you originally needed. Has anybody on here gotten accommodations from the college board in the past year without extensive documentation? Please post. So far, I know of nobody and am curious.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 1,949 Senior Member
    too late for my students, but by golly, it's about time. This is a move in the right direction.
  • RolloutRollout Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    My son was denied twice even with extensive documentation, doctors recommendation, 504 since middle school, medication, etc.... rediculous. We did get it easily for ACT though. I'm glad for this change.