Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

How do they score the SAT math section

sns3242sns3242 Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
I know that depending on the specific SAT, college board grades the test differently. But in general about how many points will you drop for a perfect score if you miss one problem?

Replies to: How do they score the SAT math section

• DiotimaDMDiotimaDM Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    In general, 20 points. Sometimes missing one is still a perfect score, but the average is around 20 points.
  • masquerade98masquerade98 Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    The curve varies from test to test. Generally, it's a bit more lenient than the old SAT, so you can expect to drop around 10 points per problem I believe. I could be wrong though.
  • kjake2000kjake2000 Registered User Posts: 752 Member
  • DartMonkey93DartMonkey93 Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    This is what I noticed about the official practice tests:
    PT1/2/3/6: 1 incorrect answer means 790, and 2 incorrect answers mean 780
    PT5/7: 1 incorrect answer means 790, and 2 incorrect answers mean 770
    PT4: 1 incorrect answer still means 800, and 2 or 3 incorrect answers mean 790

Generally, you would drop 10 points if you got a raw score of 57/58.

I am unsure whether I am allowed to discuss my score and number of incorrect answers, though.