Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

please help- Sat/Act

WaitwhatssWaitwhatss Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
I took the Sat this January ( I am junior) got a 1250 :(
670-reading
580-math
1-I bought the PWN the SAT math - will I really improve that much or is it hopeless
2-Will the ACT be better
3-Do you guys have any links to free books and resources I can use

Thanks in advance!

Replies to: please help- Sat/Act

• IvyLeague2IvyLeague2 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Unless you're extremely good at looking at scientific graphs, which I thought I was before and it turned out I wasn't at all, then you might as well stick to the SAT. You master the math with a lot of practice and then practice with writing by learning every rule that you've learned over again and you will raise your score exponentially. Reading is the hardest things to get up, but if you work hard and understand the fundamental reasons as to why you are getting problems wrong, you will be fine if you correct them, and you will more than likely do well.
  • IvyLeague2IvyLeague2 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Use Khan Academy, I am a college transfer that's studying to get a really high score and I am using khan academy. Do a practice test, they tell you everything that you need to work on, you work on it, and you will be much improved. They also have 7 free practice tests, and they are coordinating with the College Board.
  • DartMonkey93DartMonkey93 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    edited March 18
    The SAT is better if you are good at math, because the math section accounts for 50% of the score. The questions are more confusing and complicated but there is more time.
    The ACT is more straightforward at the expense of extreme time limitations. If you are good at chart analysis/scientific terminology/reading, then it helps a lot, as the Science section is 25% of the score. Math only counts for 25% of the score.

Regardless, you should take an OFFICIAL ACT practice test to find out if you would do better at the ACT than the SAT. After that, take a College Board SAT practice test. That is because the testing environment is different to a home environment, which may lead to score discrepancies.

If you do better on the ACT practice test, then take the ACT. If you do better on the SAT practice test, then take the SAT.
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    edited March 19
    You will only know after you try! Give it your best and see how it goes. ACT has a free test on line you can download. Your library also will have the ACT red book and other SATbooks. Did you go through all the SAT released test?
  • rvalover7rvalover7 Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    @Waitwhatss My personal reccomendation for an SAT Math book is Dr. Chung's SAT Math. I used it and brought my score from a junior as a 650 to a senior at 770. Also be sure to do the questions of the day on the SAT website! They really do help. Take an ACT practice test to see how you do. A lot of my friends preferred the ACT over the SAT, but I liked the SAT better. As DartMonkey93 said, it is the better choice if you are good at math.
    edited March 20
    Maybe I should give more details. Correct these if they're incorrect, but I just compiled them.
    SAT: Mix between school achievement and aptitude test; confusing and complicated but more time per question
    Math: More emphasis on data analysis; algebra is slightly easier; about 35% no calculator questions; charts provided
    Writing: Less emphasis on grammar; more on rhetorics and organization; harder passages
    Reading: Harder passages; evidence-based questions
    Science: No section, but mixed into the math and Reading/Writing sections. The reading and writing sections do contain a few chart-based questions.

(50% math, 25% reading, 25% writing; analysis science is only a subscore that is generally of little to no importance)

ACT: School achievement test; straightforward but less time per question
    Math: More emphasis on harder algebra and geometry
    English (Writing): More emphasis on grammar; less on rhetorics; easier passages
    Reading: Easier passages
    Science: Counts as 25% of your score; extremely stringent time limit; contains chart-based questions and more reading

(25% math, 25% reading, 25% writing, 25% science)

Note that the no calculator questions don't require usage of a calculator. However, if you are uncomfortable about not being able to use a calculator or have difficulties processing numbers without one, then you will prefer the ACT math.

Those with dyscalculia or a quantitative processing disorder may receive an accommodation to use a 4-function calculator. Just being poor at math or calculations does not qualify, and a person may receive extra time, etc. in the math section in lieu to a provided calculator as an accommodation.

On a related note, Khan Academy is a good practice site that is 100% free. They do not provide ACT prep, though. Regardless, the best practice tests are the seven (and counting) official College Board SAT practice tests.
  • WaitwhatssWaitwhatss Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    thanks for the help guys :)
  • mocktrialer5mocktrialer5 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    You should take multiple practice tests for both SAT and ACT to see which one feels better for you (ie which one you score higher on consistently). For me, the ACT was the better tests. I scored a 1500 on my first SAT sitting and a 34 on my first ACT sitting. In order to perform highly, you need to just keep taking practice tests under correct time limits. For SAT, their will always be one reading passage (for me it was prose passage) that causes you trouble. You need to know how much time you get per passage and make sure you don't fall behind. I believe you can raise your SAT score into the 1400s if you just put in the work. good luck!!
    I will summarize this:

Universities have no preference of SAT or ACT. However, some universities the SAT Subject Tests for the SAT but not the ACT.

Thus, pick whichever one is most comfortable for you. I picked the SAT because I am better at math, and that I am better at doing trickier questions with more time than straightforward questions with less time. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to take the SAT.

Even as someone who took the SAT, I should be unbiased and emphasize that a person with a better EBRW score than the math score would generally do better on the ACT.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to take practice tests for each and compare those scores.