Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My routine for increasing my score 100+ points on the SAT

kevinthekoalakevinthekoala Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Background: I wanted to increase my score since I believed my score wasn't high enough to be compared with other applicants for colleges like UChicago and Yale.

This was my routine for just one week before my January SAT!
Saturday: I started doing what you guys did which was finding out a solution to my mess
Sunday: Decided to just take practice tests! (Took my first practice test where I actually scored lower than my current SAT score at the time)
Monday: Came home at 3:00 and would take another practice test (Did extremely well, I was so happy!)
Tuesday: Came home at 3:00 and would take another practice test (Scored the same score on Sunday :(( )
Wednesday: Came home at 3:00 and would take another practice test (After taking four tests I started getting the same range of scores)
Thursday: REVIEW TIME!!! Decided to not take a practice test and started using Khan Academy to sharpen my weak points on these test questions
Friday: Took my last practice test and got a score within my score range, so then I just kept reviewing!
Saturday: SAT DAY!

The true key to increasing is not just practice, but knowing your mistakes. I had to relearn the little things on the math section that boost my score like circles, quadratic equations, and trigonometry. I knew I wasn't going to do too well on the critical reading so I just kept working on my grammar and you must, let me repeat, and you must know your punctuation.

I wish you guys all luck in your study habits and I know this routine seems kind of time consuming, but if you really want to improve your test scores you need to sacrifice those four hours every day!

Replies to: My routine for increasing my score 100+ points on the SAT

• genericpassword123genericpassword123 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    what wa your score? did it work?
  • kevinthekoalakevinthekoala Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I went from a 1370 to a 1480, and I've always been good at math but just getting three extra questions right on the Math portion can significantly change your score by almost 40 points. That's why I highly recommend you make sure you work out any little things you don't remember in math.
  • yenniamyenniam Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    wow that's awesome. can I ask how you prepared for your first attempt? what was working and what wasn't for your prep leading up to the 1370?