Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

SAT Word Problems

SkapambweSkapambwe Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Right now I have 500 in math for the new SAT and what is really killing me are the word problems. It's very hard for me to take what I've read and translate it into equations, especially the inequality ones. I know what symbols I'm supposed to use (greater = <, or of = percent) but I just can't see the relationship between the numbers and make an equation. Any advice? I want to bump my math score to a 700

Replies to: SAT Word Problems

• suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 2,926 Senior Member
    Did you try the ACT?
  • SkapambweSkapambwe Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey! Yes I did try the ACT and my scores were very poor ranging from 19-21 overall, and right now my SAT is 1120 and so I'm focusing on getting my SAT up. Maybe I'll try the ACT one more time but so far I like SAT better :)
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,634 Senior Member
    Lots of people swear by the free Kahn Academy videos.
  • SoccerMomGenieSoccerMomGenie Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    The new SAT has a LOT of word problems, so it's important for you to address this weakness. PWN the SAT Math is an excellent resource and it has a pretty good section that focuses on word problems. You might want to start there.