Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Hispanic, Male, Low Income - Good SAT!?

Jarb15Jarb15 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited June 19 in What Are My Chances?
1170 for my first shot. Hypothetically taking into consideration I have great extracurrriculars/resume, what are my chances of getting into a top private university?
Post edited by Chedva on

Replies to: Hispanic, Male, Low Income - Good SAT!?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,373 Senior Member
    Look up the Common Data Set of a "top private university" and compare your SAT score and GPA to those of enrolled freshmen in Section C.
  • HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    You need to get your SAT up at least 150 points for a shot at the top privates. Which schools are you looking at? You might be expected to have at minimum a 1350-1400 depending on the selectivity of a school. Have you heard of Questbridge? Some of its member schools are test score optional.
  • studentathlete18studentathlete18 Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    What universities are you referring to? 1170 is above average, but not significantly.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 28,825 Senior Member
    edited June 12
    What universities are you thinking of?
    What state are you a resident of?
    What's your GPA?
    Have you taken any AP/IB/AICE/Dual Enrollment/PSEO classes?
  • Jarb15Jarb15 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I have a 4.5 weighted GPA. Ivae taken/going to take 5/8 offered AP courses in my school. Ive done dual enrollment for Public Speaking at my local community college.and I reside in MA. Possibly Brandeis University, University of Rochester, Lehigh University...
    @MYOS1634 @studentathlete18 @Hamlon I also do a bunch of extracurrriculars, NHS, been playing a sport for 5 years now.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,447 Senior Member
    Your gpa is great and ecs are solid. If you can get the SAT to 1250-1350, you would be in range for those schools, taking into consideration you are an URM. The suggestion above to look at test optional schools is also a good one.
  • DontskipthemooseDontskipthemoose Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    You have hooks but a 1170 is still very low for top schools.
  • HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    You're totally fine. Just study with Khan Academy over the Summer and focus on writing strong essays. Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Skidmore, and Temple are all test-optional and phenomenal.
  • studentathlete18studentathlete18 Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    1170 is too low for top tier universities. You need a 33+ on the ACT or a 1480+ on the SAT.
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the inputs! :)
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,140 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    Definitely do more SAT preparation before retaking. It does help a lot (classes or tutoring or both).
  • tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    1170 is actually a pretty low SAT score for top schools. Retake it and aim for 1450+ or maybe you should take the ACT, which you may be more comfortable with, and get at least 34. Good luck!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 28,825 Senior Member
    This score will be understood in context. What's your school's average score? The college will look at your score differently depending on if you school's average score is 1100 or 800.....
    edited June 20
    I understand my SAT score is quite low @tripledouble2000, but I also understand that I am not at the same advantages that you or others may be at. So a 1450+ is a little far fetched. I can always reach to raise my score by a few, even as my score in context is above average at my school, but I also do know people who had worse get into amazing schools. Thanks though!