Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Should I Take the ACT?

harrypotter111harrypotter111 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
I took the SAT last year (twice) and was able to superscore to a 1410. I will be a senior this upcoming September, so should I try taking the ACT? Or is my SAT score good enough to get accepted into decent colleges?

Replies to: Should I Take the ACT?

• newkidnewtrixnewkidnewtrix Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    Your SAT score is great for most colleges. If you're looking at Ivy-type schools, 1410 may be a little low (but still in-range) unless you have some stellar extracurriculars to compensate. For "decent" colleges is it good enough? Absolutely!
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    edited June 17
    Which schools? That SAT is about a 30 ACT. Fine for plenty of schools, not competitive for selective schools and unlikely to garner significant merit. What major? It is only worth sitting if you are going to do the work to make it worthwhile.

"1410 may be a little low (but still in-range)" I disagree, but you can google that. As an international with a lower UW GPA and needing FA, make sure your expectations align with reality.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,130 Senior Member
    If you're looking at Ivy-type schools, 1410 may be a little low (but still in-range)
    What range? Within admission range (0-100%)? Yes as there are always some exceptions. Within mid 50? No for most Ivies but right at 25th percentile for a couple. Nevertheless, it may be a little bit late to switch as the next ACT would be in your senior year. First you need to find out if you have a reason to switch to ACT. Do some practice to see if that is the case. I would suggest students to try practice tests on both before junior year to see if there is any potential difference.