Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Is it bad to not take the PSAT 8/9?

futurecollege00futurecollege00 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
I was never that as obsessed with college as I am now, not to the point of spending every waking hour on CC, at least. So I never heard of the PSAT 8/9 until recently, i.e. after it was too late to take it. I read in an article that those who are serious about qualifying for the NMS should take the test, which I am. I'm taking the PSAT/NMSQT in the fall, and I will do so again in my junior year to apply for the NMS, so I have some opportunity to practice, but will it hurt my chances too much to have not taken the 8/9?
Thanks!

Replies to: Is it bad to not take the PSAT 8/9?

• whcj46810whcj46810 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    No. I did not know PSAT 8/9 at all. Just took it 10th, got 1460, then 11th, got 1490. In my state, should be able to make NMS.
  • LaxKid16LaxKid16 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Dude. Chill.
    Colleges only care about your actual SAT scores, and the only advantage of taking the PSAT in 8/9 is extra practice. You have plenty of time for more practice in 10th and then to qualify for NMS in 11th. You can't go back in time and take the PSAT 8/9 so I would focus on learning the material in school and also studying to familiarize yourself with the test. It shouldn't hurt your chances much as the only point for the PSAT 8/9 is extra practice and it doesn't count at all toward being a NMS. Long story short it shouldn't hurt your chances at all.
  • futurecollege00futurecollege00 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    ok! I was just worried that I wouldn't have gotten enough practice for the PSAT and subsequently the SAT. I know it doesn't count toward NMS
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,297 Senior Member
    No. Chill.
  • futurecollege00futurecollege00 Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    That's what everyone keeps telling me...