Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

PSAT/NMSQT Class of 2019

Replies to: PSAT/NMSQT Class of 2019

• clanculariusclancularius Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    I take it Saturday and haven't had much time to prep at all. I really wanted National Merit, but it doesn't seem like that'll be possible.

Kind of feeling left out with all the PSAT memes from today, lol.

Anyone have some tips/strategies for doing well?
  • LvMyKids2LvMyKids2 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @MusakParent do you remember what the total score was in the 97/98th percentile. My child scored a 1460 last year as a sophomore.
  • BahubaloBahubalo Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    @Corinthian53

I feel you, I was in a time crunch in reading! Writing went quite smoothly for me but I barely finished reading in time.. At least that means I was taking my time on the questions.

@captusica

For sure, writing was far more difficult this year. I took the second practice PSAT on college board's site and the writing section was much easier.

@homerdog @kesari

Haha that's pretty weird the PSAT math is more difficult.. I didn't really find it to be too much of a challenge but certain questions were very different and posed a bit of difficulty.

• CharlotteLetterCharlotteLetter Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    I haven't prepped much and I really want National Merit. I'm also taking it Saturday because I couldn't skip my college classes today. Unfortunately I have to drive over an hour to take it, as there are no Saturday offerings available for homeschoolers in my city (which is the largest in the state). My SAT from March 2016 (also with scant prep) converts to a 214 SI (my state's SI for semifinalist was 215). I'm taking 2 practice PSATs on Friday (which is my one day of fall break).
    @CharlotteLetter
    That sucks that you have to drive so far just to take the exam. You'll probably have to wake up way earlier so I recommend maybe sleeping 2-3 hours earlier than you usually do on Friday. That may interfere with your plan to take 2 full PSATs though.. I recommend taking a full one on Friday and split the other one over today and tomorrow. Maybe do Reading and Writing today and both the math sections tomorrow.
  • CharlotteLetterCharlotteLetter Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    @Bahubalo Eh. 2 full PSATs is like 8 hours? Start at 8am and I have plenty of time. I may just skip the math sections when prepping, because it's been so long since I've done relevant math that it's unlikely I'll raise my score from like 38. I need to do classwork today and tomorrow so that I can prepare for my Wednesday audition.
  • PureShoresPureShores Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    edited October 11
    I took the PSAT today, and I definitely did not make the national merit. However, I don't believe that I did that bad either. Both the math sections (non-calc & calc) were surprisingly easier than I thought they would be. I had to skip a couple of the word problems for times' sake, but I was able to answer most of the questions with accuracy. The lack of difficulty worries me though, as there may not be a favorable curve. The reading and writing sections were pretty standard. Reading is my strength, so I am hoping I did good. Either way, I am much more content with this year versus last year.

I am also pretty disappointed with this year's memes. There really wasn't any good content to joke about.
  • jami978jami978 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Am I the only one who thought the writing portion was actually pretty easy? Now I feel like I screwed up somehow...

I feel good about the calculator portion of the math test but I'm not so sure about the no calculator part. And don't even get me started on the reading questions. Welp, here's to praying 'til December...
  • jahowyujahowyu Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I felt like the reading was quite easy, but the writing portion tripped me up. Pretty confident I got all of the no calc questions right but I know that I got at least 2 of the calc section questions wrong. I took the Oct. 7 SAT and I honestly felt like the math section was harder
    @jahowyu

Yeah the reading wasn't bad at all. I don't want to jinx myself by saying that lol. Hopefully I missed less than 3... And it seems to be the common census that writing was pretty difficult this time around. And you're saying math was more difficult as well, which most of us can agree to. I still think I got a 760 on math though..

@jami978

Dang haha that's great if you thought writing was easy! I guess we just flipped reading and writing in terms of difficulty!

@PureShores

It's good to have your strength to be EBRW as it's weighted twice as much as math when calculating selection index scores. I actually rather enjoyed the memes.

• jahowyujahowyu Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I'm so anxious to see my scores... really don't want to wait 2 months.
    Is there a chart somewhere that lists the amount of questions you need to get right each raw score?
  • SejoonjppppSejoonjpppp Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    edited October 12
    @homerdog Yea that's what I thought too. I got a 790 on the math for the August SAT and I thought that was really easy. However, I was stumped up on some questions on the PSAT yesterday... I thought the PSAT reading was on par with the august reading though, but the writing was at a higher level yesterday than in August.
    edited October 12
    @homerdog I feel like the August SAT math had more basic elements
  • naturecreativenaturecreative Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Tips on waiting till December? I thought the reading was a little harder than usual, but I think I did well and that and the writing section. I had to guess on a few math problems, but a lot less than i thought i'd have to.
    @naturecreative I would always continue to work on SAT or even ACT problems. By doing this, you can get ready for future tests and raise your level of understanding of the test, since really doing well on the SAT and ACT is focused on getting used to the format of the test.