Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

PSAT/NMSQT Class of 2019

Replies to: PSAT/NMSQT Class of 2019

• connorkraskaconnorkraska Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    edited October 12
    Did anyone else find the reading section most difficult? I felt fairly confident with the writing - MAYBE missed 2 at max, but truly think it was either 1 or 0. Almost positive I got a perfect 760 on math.

I live in Texas, so I'm hoping that by getting a 38 in math, a 38 in writing, and maybe a 35 in reading I'll make the NMSF cutoff from last year of 221. Can anyone estimate the maximum number of reading questions to get wrong in order to get a 35 in reading?
  • GufususGufusus Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Last year my son got 1480 but this year he said that the Psat was much more dificult than before...
  • jami978jami978 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited October 12
    What messed me up was the last science passage for reading. When the proctor announced there was only 5 minutes left my world kinda just went into a whirl haha. I apparently lost all ability to comprehend English at that point :|
  • Luska19Luska19 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    Just a guess but speaking with other PSAT takers I would say Math will be 0 for a 38( A lot of kids are pretty sure they aced it), Writing will be 0 -1 for 38 and Reading 0 for a 38.
    edited October 12
    Last year's PSAT 10 was Math 0 for 38, Reading 0-1 for a 38 and Writing was 0-2 for a 38.
  • waterbrether725waterbrether725 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    edited October 12
    Yeah, I heard a lot of good things about that test. Many people said Writing was the hardest. I felt that in terms of difficulty(1 being the easiest)

1.Math
    2.Writing
    3.Reading
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,277 Senior Member
    @waterbrether725 @connorkraska and anyone else who thought the math was easy....have you taken SATs yet? If so, how did you score on those math sections?
  • eh1234eh1234 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    My S19 took the PSAT and the SAT this past week. He thought the math was harder on the PSAT, but he thinks he did better than he did last year because he didn't guess and he finished all the questions. (On last year's PSAT, he missed 2, left 3 blank and had a 35.5). He thought this was the easiest section on the PSAT (but he's not really a reading kid).

• connorkraskaconnorkraska Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @homerdog I haven't taken an SAT in a year or two, so not sure how the SAT math would go... but considering that I felt the PSAT was a little too easy, I would guess that the SAT math would be harder, especially since advanced math subjects learned in algebra 2 weren't included on the PSAT
  • am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    edited October 12
    @connorkraska
    What makes SAT math hard for some is not the advanced material but the way the questions are asked and the time crunch. If you found PSAT math really easy chances are that you will find SAT math easy as well.

So far my kids did WAY better in the SAT than the PSAT although they took about at the same time.
  • Corinthian53Corinthian53 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I honestly don't understand why they take until December to grade all the tests. It would take a while to grade everything, certainly, given the sheer volume of tests, but two months seems a tad excessive.
  • BiaxialObject48BiaxialObject48 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    The cutoff for my state is around 220, or a 1450/1460. I think I got maybe 3 wrong in ERBW and 3 wrong in math. Honestly, anything above a 1400 is good enough for me.
  • gkdudtlffjgkdudtlffj Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    I took the PSAT yesterday too. I thought the math section was easy. I probably got 760 on that. Reading section, I know I for sure got 4 wrong. For writing, there were two questions I wasn't sure about. Hopefully I made only those reading mistakes and got at least 1 wrong on the math. I live in Washington so the national merit cut off is 221 :/ I don't think I made it but I want at least 1470 haha.
    Sounds like you're right where you need to be. 1 wrong on math is likely a 750 and with the numbers you gave for ER I would say 37 and 35 so 720 would get your 1470.
  • hannuhyluhannuhylu Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    Daughter didnt feel good about the math said 4 problems were tricky she pretty much guessed.

Definitely no NMF here Texas 221 needed lol.