Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Low reading scores

ArtiArti Posts: 617Registered User Member
SAT: 700 R, 790 M, 800 W (2290 composite)
ACT: 35 E, 36 M, 34 R, 36 S (35 composite)

If you're going to tell me to stop whining because my scores are great, I don't need you in this thread. I'm entitled to a little precollege freakout just like everyone else. My question is, apparently my reading score is lower in both tests. If I could send only my ACT score, we'd be good, but colleges will see my SAT when I send in my SAT II scores. Will it hurt me that they see that my SAT Reading score is significantly lower than my other ones? I don't want them to think "He's pretty well-rounded but not as strong in reading" after looking at my ACT then "Oh wow, he really is a lot weaker in reading" after looking at my SAT.
Post edited by Arti on

Replies to: Low reading scores

• calmomcalmom Posts: 15,698Registered User Senior Member
    Your scores are fine, and I think you should send both ACT & SAT- although if you plan to send the SAT II's you might as well save your money and wait until those are available. 700 is a great CR score and your 800 Writing score is going to eliminate any concerns a college may have about your literary skills. As tot he ACT, the difference between a 34 and a 36 is statistically negligible - it really is within the margin of error for the test.
  • sj2009sj2009 Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    and most schools don't care all that much about the reading, especially on the SAT, so as long as you're not awful at it they don't take a second glance... they won't affect you in the least, congrats on good scores
  • ivynutivynut Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    Same here. 700 CR while having a 770 M and 790 writing with a 34 Composite. I am leaning toward not retaking because it will appear grade conscious. Taking each test only once and being satisfied and not super anal reflects some confidence. What do you think?
  • MomofaKnightMomofaKnight Posts: 451Registered User Member
    Frankly I don't see any "low" reading score in anything you are citing in your post. Chill out and stop worrying about tests scores that are obviously so high
    Use your energy to do something useful--work with the homeless, feed the hungry whatever

Your are blessed with great scores
  • elpopeelpope Posts: 326Registered User Member
    "and most schools don't care all that much about the reading, especially on the SAT, so as long as you're not awful at it they don't take a second glance... they won't affect you in the least, congrats on good scores"

While his SAT score is ok, and his ACT reading score is very good, schools *DO* care about reading, probably moreso than math.

Many schools will take the ACT in place of both the SAT I & subject tests; if you can, only send the ACT.