Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is a 2100(SAT) equivalent to about a 33(ACT)?

FellowCCViewerFellowCCViewer Posts: 3,777Registered User Senior Member
Given that one's science ability to about the same as hir math/writing/reading skills.

I've heard the ACT is "Easier"? Is that true? If so, why is the SAT the more 'popular' test?

I'm cong-fewsd.
Post edited by FellowCCViewer on

Replies to: Is a 2100(SAT) equivalent to about a 33(ACT)?

• Sheed30Sheed30 Posts: 12,425Registered User Senior Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACT_(examination)

A 2100 is more like a 31

A 33 is more like a 2250
  • FellowCCViewerFellowCCViewer Posts: 3,777Registered User Senior Member
    for anyone who's taken both, which one did you feel was easier?
  • drusbadrusba Posts: 7,806Registered User Senior Member
    There have been many prior discussions of this issue on this site. Consensus: many find the ACT harder particularly because of its time constraints, but then many find the SAT harder, and then many believe they are about the same; in other words it is an individual thing but looking at total votes it averages out to equal difficulty.

The "SAT" is not actually the "more popular test." A somewhat greater number of students take the SAT as opposed to ACT, but much depends on where you are. Eastern states and far western states are predominantly states in which most high school students take the SAT. Majority of states in between those two are predominantly ACT states.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
    Here are charts of class of 2007 performance on both tests. Note that it is unclear how many students took both tests, especially at the top end of the score ranges.

http://www.act.org/news/data/07/pdf/National2007.pdf

(table 2.1)

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/composite_CR_M_W_percentile_ranks.pdf
  • Eravial08Eravial08 Posts: 464Registered User Member
    I prefer the SAT on principle and for my testing. The SAT is a gauge of critical thinking with applied academics. The ACT is more of a measure of how well you learned in high school.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,285Super Moderator Senior Member
    I think it depends on the student. If you aren't happy with your score on one, it doesn't hurt to try the other.
  • FredFredBurgerFredFredBurger Posts: 1,425Registered User Senior Member
    I didn't try the ACT but I looked at some sample tests and thought it was actually pretty hard. But don't take my word for it, I practiced a lot for the SAT so it came way easier to me than the ACTs. From what I've heard, ACT tests knowledge while the SAT tests application of knowledge. But I'm not an expert.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,111Registered User Senior Member
    I personally prefer the ACT (bias because I did about 150 points (equivalently) better on it than I did the SAT), but it's different for every person.

While some may find one easier than another, it truly is person to person. They're both scored using percentiles, as in a certain percentage of test takers receive test score x.

While I have a 33 ACT with a 2070 SAT (I did not study once for either test), I know 2 people with 2200+ SAT's yet can't break a 28 ACT.
  • siriusaboutyalesiriusaboutyale Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    I took the act and did comparitively better on it than on the SAT..it's just up to the person. It varies widely, which is better for whom.