Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

780 on chemistry...?

ermina62ermina62 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
I took May SAT and got 780 on chemistry.
I'm pretty confident about the result, but I really wanted to get 800 on chemistry (I'm not gonna major in science (actually I haven't decided what to major in college yet).. I wanted 800 just because it seems and sounds neat.. o.0)
I feel like having another shot in September, but at the same time I don't want to look obsessed with scores...
Should I retake chemistry this fall? If I should, how should I study for it this time?
Post edited by ermina62 on

Replies to: 780 on chemistry...?

• bunnyhop824bunnyhop824 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
    no, i really don't think the difference btw 780 and an 800 is too significant.
    especially when you can spend that extra time working on your essays--or taking another subject test.
  • unluckyone1unluckyone1 Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    780 to 800 is big difference. Thats like 7 questions. Retake it.
  • z09z09 Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    are you serious...
    there is NO difference between 780 and 800.
    7 questions? thats a little bit exaggerated.
    and you are right, ermina62, taking it over because you got a 780 will DEFINITELY make u seem score obsessed. 20 points could've seriously been the difference of one raw point.
  • qhausqkqhqhausqkqh Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    It is actually around 7 raw marks difference, if you're talking about the highest 800.
    Compared to the lowest possible 800, it'll be nearer to 3 raw marks difference.
  • atrophicwhisperatrophicwhisper Posts: 1,744Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Yeah, it's not 7 questions. It's more like 2-3 questions.
  • stephennnstephennn Posts: 2,103Registered User Senior Member
    dont retake it.

thats stupid. i got a 790 and thought about retaking it for like a second but decided it would be stupid.

its not really worth it. i think if i was an adcom id like seeing 750's more than all 800s just because you wont seem like a robot.
  • sherpasherpa Posts: 2,846Registered User Senior Member
    Don't retake for all the reasons stated , and here's one more: suppose your score goes down; the adcoms are going to see the 780 and the subsequent lower score...and start rolling on the floor.