Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ACT english grammar help

Irvine IvyIrvine Ivy Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
The words/phrases in brackets are MY answers; the book answers are included afterward. Please provide an explanation for these errors. Since these sentences are not in context, I just want to know if they are grammatical as is. Sometimes, however, I think the book, Mcgraw-Hill, might be wrong.

test 10
19) In fact, Giant Pandas [ are by nature ] extremely solitary animals, usually avoiding direct contact with other animals.

ans: [ ,are by nature, ]

20) In [their dense] habitat, the black and white coat of the Giant Pandas may help make them more conspicuous to each other.

I think this is wrong because "in their dense habitat" modifies "the black and white coat." But I'm not sure because the first phrase is a prepositional phrase so maybe this sentence is genuine.

47) A new subdivision of homes [ building on ] a once thickly wooded plot of land often devastates the natural beauty of the area.

[ built on ], i know built on works, but does building on work as well?

50) Many builders take great care to maintain as much of the natural landscape as possible by keeping mature trees untouched [whenever possible ].

[omit], the reason the book provides is that "whenever possible" is redundant because "as possible" is there. what?
Post edited by Irvine Ivy on

Replies to: ACT english grammar help

• aashadaashad Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    I believe that #19 is an independent clause, which would require the use of commas. I'm not sure about #20. In #47, building on wouldn't work due to the fact that it suggests that the act of building is continually in progress. For #50, whenever possible is definitely redundant.
  • reloadedxpreloadedxp Posts: 748Registered User Member
    19) In fact, Giant Pandas [ are by nature ] extremely solitary animals, usually avoiding direct contact with other animals.

ans: [ ,are by nature, ]

y would it need commas? cuz if u took out the clause it would read: In fact, Giant Pandas extremely solitary animals, usually avoiding direct contact with other animals. -> verb missing!