Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

cutoff for high scorers on PSAT?

emily0687emily0687 Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
does anyone know what the cutoff for getting a letter saying you are a PSAT high scorer is? this is what leads into the national merit program, and everyone who gets a letter will either be commended or a semifinalist. i know the semifinalist cutoffs are different for each state, but i heard that the cutoff for getting the initial letter was national. so does anyone know what it is for students who took the PSAT this fall?
Post edited by emily0687 on

Replies to: cutoff for high scorers on PSAT?

• fancyydkfancyydk Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know if the cutoff for commended students is national, but if it is, then I'd say 200 because my friend and I were commended students and we got 205, 202, respectively. My friend was unfortunate because he got a 210 when he took the PSAT when he was a sophomore, which would've made him a semi-finalist because the cutoff in Kentucky is usually 210.
  • hypababe88hypababe88 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    i took the psats this fall as a junior and got 98th percentile (but i live in CT which probably has a really high cutoff). when do i find out if i qualified for anything?
  • ZafirKZafirK Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    I was in the 97th percentile, i made a 204. The cutoff for commended performance/natl merit was 202 for us this year.
  • hazhaz Posts: 185- Junior Member
    I get the feeling it isn't 202, even though it is supposed to be. Somebody with a 201 made it from my school. I even saw his score report. No joke!
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 20,944Registered User Senior Member
    It was 200 again this year.....
    How do you know? Did somebody you know make commended with a 200? All of this cutoff business is very odd.
  • audioslaveaudioslave Posts: 246Registered User Junior Member
    The user PeteSAT called the College Board line and found out that the cut-off was 202. I don't get how it's possible for someone with a 201 to get commended...

I remember haz was one of the first posters who said that 202 was the cut-off, lol.
    Yeah, I was. That's what the Collegeboard said.

Audioslave, I seem to remember you got a 201. Did you find anything out yet? Were you actually commended?
  • jaimie17jaimie17 Posts: 580Registered User Member
    Just to clarify these previous posts, 202 is the national cutoff for commended and the cutoff for semifinalists varies from state to state, year by year. Good luck!
  • red06red06 Posts: 1,532Registered User Senior Member
    whew this is rough i got a 217 and im thinking i heard that ny cutoff is 218. wow would that suck...
  • SATaddictSATaddict Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    I live in MS, and the cutoff for national merit semi-finalist was 202 last year. It will be 203 this year.
  • audioslaveaudioslave Posts: 246Registered User Junior Member
    I didn't get any letter saying I was commended. Our school discloses who received commended only in August/September of senior year.
  • Sx91Sx91 Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    Do we have to return that commended letter?
  • ZafirKZafirK Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah to tell which 2 schools u want them to send recommendations to
  • hypababe88hypababe88 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    sry im confused... are you people who are talking about the letters you did/didnt receive juniors or seniors? im not sure how the timing works for the national merit stuff