Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT Essay Thesis

Dagol12Dagol12 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
I've read various sources indicating that it is best to start the essay with your main thesis. However, I've also read and been told that it's best to start with a broad topic and finish the introduction with the main thesis statement? Which is best for the SAT essay?

Also, how long should the introduction be, I've heard various reports. My approach is/was:
Thesis. General statement that relates to prompt and reemphasizes my thesis. Examples to be used in the essay. Is this wrong? If so, How should I fix it.

Thanks.
Post edited by Dagol12 on

Replies to: SAT Essay Thesis

• Flipper519Flipper519 Posts: 812Registered User Member
    That's right. I used that method and got 12's.
  • Dagol12Dagol12 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Did you have 2 or 3 body paragraphs?
    I had two body paragraphs. I think having two solid examples is more effective than having three. However, try to use all the space in the section.
  • Dagol12Dagol12 Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    Okay thanks. Last question, is it fine if I use two books as my examples?
    I typically use one historical example (i.e. World War II) and one example from literature
    (i.e. The Great Gatsby). I think you should use two different types of examples to show variety in your sources.