Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

gpa vs. percentiles

pepgirly14pepgirly14 Posts: 418Registered User Member
does anyone know a stie that shows the equivalences of your gpa to a perentile grade (ie: 3.63 = __%)
Post edited by pepgirly14 on

Replies to: gpa vs. percentiles

• tanmantanman Posts: 2,641Registered User Senior Member
    What pool do you want your percentile out of? Your GPA is determined by your high school, so you can use your rank to determine your percentile.
  • damitssamdamitssam Posts: 617Registered User Member
    You rank = your percentile. Unless your high school doesnt rank, colleges don't compare you to other applicants based soley on GPA. If your high school doesn't rank, then I don't know.
  • pepgirly14pepgirly14 Posts: 418Registered User Member
    no, no I don't mean percentile in terms of rank.

You knwo how some people say i have a 92 average and some say i have a 3.6...I want to know how to convert it to find out what my average is out of 100
  • acaciaacacia Posts: 656Registered User Member
    Oh yea I was wondering this too...do some schools just give that kind of a GPA? Like a number out of 100? Are these typically midwest schools or east coast or what? Because I've noticed this and been thrown off by it before.
  • tanmantanman Posts: 2,641Registered User Senior Member
    The number out of 100 is not a percentile. It's just an average of all your semester grades. Instead of adopting an arbitrary grading scale (4.0), some schools opt to do a simple average of all your grades. Sometimes, advanced courses (honors/GT/AP) are weighted +10 in this system.
  • wrpricewrprice Posts: 268Registered User Junior Member
    Okay, guys, I've made a chart for you comparing weighted-gpa (0.0 - 4.33) and weighted-percentage (0.0 - 110.0) grading scales. I've included the D range for both, though many schools don't accept anything lower than a C/C- and instead consider it an F.

gpagradechart.png

(It's not a percentile, but rather a percentage of attempted work completed successfully.)