Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How Hard is ACT 36

hopeful2b_yank3ehopeful2b_yank3e Posts: 932Registered User Member
I just bought the Barrons 36, and took the practice questions. I was wondering how hard the questions are compared to the ones on the ACT. I did well on the ones there. For example, on the english, i missed two. any ideas would be great. thanks!
Post edited by hopeful2b_yank3e on

Replies to: How Hard is ACT 36

• hopeful2b_yank3ehopeful2b_yank3e Posts: 932Registered User Member
    40 views, zero responses
  • cyh910907cyh910907 Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    I have the same question.
    A friend of mine got around 2000, but got 35 composite on ACT.
    She practised more for SAT.

is ACT easier
  • gbesqgbesq Posts: 1,779Registered User Member
    Based on the 2008 numbers, out of the 1,421,941 individuals who took the ACT, 428 scored a 36 composite. I would say that you've got your work cut out for you.
  • Ray192Ray192 Posts: 2,019Registered User Senior Member
    ACT is easier in terms of material, but gives you much, MUCH less time than the SAT. So it depends on how fast you can think.

And the difficulty in getting a 36 is that luck is all that separated a 36 from, say, 34. Have fun with it, but it's completely pointless to be disappointed with a 34/35.
    Thanks for the responses, and I would be really really happy with a 34. like insane. but I just don't know how hard the questions in the book are.
    I think I formulated the question poorly, let me try again. How much harder or easier are the questions from Barron's ACT 36 in comparison to those used on the actual test?
  • amonkeydotnetamonkeydotnet Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Barrons ACT, I believe, is harder than the actual one by quite a bit. At least, from what I've heard from friends and stuff. I haven't actually taken a Barron's practice ACT.
    So missing only two is pretty good!
  • OhboiOhboi Posts: 1,119Registered User Senior Member
    Barron's is significantly harder than the real ACT. I got somewhere around a 21 on one of the Barron's practice tests (an 18 on the diagnostic test), but I got a 28 on the real ACT.
  • RankaRanka Posts: 153Registered User Junior Member
    If i got a 2000 on the SAT what would i get on the ACT? Ive studied for the SAT for a year btw
  • Ray192Ray192 Posts: 2,019Registered User Senior Member
    I think I got a 25 on one of the Barron's tests, and I later got a 35 on the real thing. Yeah, don't take it as an accurate reflection your actual scores.

What you get on the SAT doesn't predict your ACT that well. If I had to guess you'd get something in the range of 27-30.
    thanks for the comments everyone! :D
  • elizabethonlineelizabethonline Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    The Barron's ACT is significantly harder than the real ACT. In fact, some of the material in the Barron's book is not generally included on the ACT at all. I'm a pro tutor and have done every ACT book on the market-- your best bet to get a feel for the test is to go get the Real ACT Study Guide and then (and this is really key because the test has gotten a little bit more difficult in the past 24 months) is to see if you have friends who have copies of 2007 or 2008 tests and see how you do on those.
  • soadquake981soadquake981 Posts: 1,574Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, as far as I know, Barron's makes their practice tests extremely difficult. If you're doing well on their tests, you'll do great on the real ACT.
  • dreamsofivydreamsofivy Posts: 604Registered User Member
    Getting a 36 on the ACT is MUCH easier than getting a 2400 on the SAT.
  • OhboiOhboi Posts: 1,119Registered User Senior Member
    @Ranka
    I agree with Ray192 about it not being a good predictor of your scores. I did much better on the ACT than the SAT. But a 2000 on the ACT would be about equal to a 30/31.