Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Math CHALLENGE...Post the hardest math SAT I questions you can find..

Hyper2400Hyper2400 Posts: 770Registered User Member
i could use the practice :)....let's see who can solve it the most efficiently...we can all learn from these efficient methods...
Post edited by Hyper2400 on

Replies to: Math CHALLENGE...Post the hardest math SAT I questions you can find..

• ExRunnerExRunner Posts: 731Registered User Member
    Given a triangle ABC as described below: Side AB = Side AC. Draw a line from C to side AB. call that line CD. Now draw a line from B to side AC. Call that line BE. Let angle EBC = 60 degrees, angle BCD equal 70 degrees, angle ABE equal 20 degrees, and angle DCE equal 10 degrees. Now draw line DE. The question--find what angle EDC is.

(This can be, and is meant to be, solved geometrically, without trig. )
  • iduckyiducky Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    is it 10 degrees? LOL just a guess
    No, it is not.
  • geddes97geddes97 Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    Is this 75?
  • elladorkesselladorkess Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    Is it 60 degrees?
  • iduckyiducky Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    oops i put my tick mark on the wrong side.. giving me the wrong isoceles!! did it again but i still thinkg i got it wrong .. 65? .. if the mid point (let's say O) is where everythign intersects and BOC = 50 thus DOE = 50 .. (my logic might be wrong but i believe triangle DOE is an isoceles) leave 130 degrees divided by 2.. 65? there must be an easier way ahha

EDIT: Vehement answers works out for me.. did that the first time with my wrong isoceles.. but changed my method second time around =/ whoops
  • VehementVehement Posts: 957Registered User Member
    double post
    its 70.....

ok the full steps

first add up bde, ebc, ecb and ecd. you will get 160.

180 - 160 = angel a

180 - angel a(20)/2 = ade = 80

180 - dbe - dbc - bce = angel bdc = 30

subtract bdc(30) and ade(80) from 180 = the answer = 70
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 21,609Registered User Senior Member
    :) ........ :)
    It is not 70.
  • gcf101gcf101 Posts: 2,214Super Moderator Senior Member
    It'll make it so much easier to jump right to the next question if you are not interested in one before.
    thanks much!
    Hmm you copied the question wrong then? or i seriously misread. i have figured out every angle in the triangle so i really don't know where my prob is
  • greenclothgreencloth Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    I messed up
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 21,609Registered User Senior Member
    Vehement, the problem is far from being a sixty seconds SAT question. It is the Gruber's challenge. It takes a ... long time to develop a solution.
    And btw, "180 - angel a(20)/2 = ade = 80" is where you go wrong. You can't assume that.