Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

If I got a 2040 SAT score...

meagan44meagan44 Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
should I try the ACT's? a lot of people on this site tell me I need to raise my scores for some of the schools I'm applying to. However, I'm taking the SAT 2's in October, So I won't be able to take the SAT's again. I've already taken them twice.
Post edited by meagan44 on

Replies to: If I got a 2040 SAT score...

• Think_DifferentThink_Different Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    2040 is by no means bad, but I would try the ACT. I received just above a 2000 on my SAT, but raised it several HUNDRED points based on the ACT conversion (which I took very spur-of-the-moment). Can't hurt to try it!
  • meagan44meagan44 Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    the thing is, I'm terrible at SAT math (and math in general) my best score only being a 610. and i heard the ACT math is harder.
  • amarkovamarkov Posts: 2,288Registered User Senior Member
    The ACT math covers more advanced material, but it's still easy in comparison to most high school math classes. It also doesn't have the tricky questions the SAT math does, so you might well do better.
    I've taken up to Pre-calc in high school...I only got an 80 in that course.
  • strosfanstrosfan Posts: 516Registered User Member
    I think the majority of juniors/seniors have only taken Precalculus or Algebra 2 by the time they take their SAT's, I think two kids in my grade out of a thousand took AP Calc

But anyways, I'd say go for it... it makes sense if you're so worried about math, on the SAT it's 1/3rd of your score but on the ACT it's 1/4th (I think, never looked at the ACT)
    Alright, I'll definitely consider it.
  • laestudiantelaestudiante Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    I never took the ACT--just prepped a bit for it and heard stuff from friends... amarkov is right. There's a lot of trig, and for that, if you know the rules, you can breeze right through for the most part.

Also, I don't think you're required to send your ACT scores, if you don't want to.. is that true?
  • CCSurferCCSurfer Posts: 333Registered User Junior Member
    ACT math was far easier for my kid. Get ahold of the Peterson real ACT book and do a couple of practice tests. It's definitely worth a try. Also, be sure you also know what you're going to be facing before you take the ACT science section. Familiarity will help you and save you some time on the test.
  • Think_DifferentThink_Different Posts: 104Registered User Junior Member
    I did better on the ACT math than SAT...the material was a little more advanced, but the questions were more straightforward and less tricky. I'd give it a try- you've got nothing to lose!
    I just took an ACT practice test....got a 22. FAIL :( I don't think I even want to attempt to take the test...
  • Secret Asian ManSecret Asian Man Posts: 2,497Registered User Senior Member
    Some folks are naturally better on the ACT than the SAT, and some are naturally better on the SAT. If you're struggling with one just take the other and see how you do.
  • cjgonecjgone Posts: 1,520- Senior Member
    Hehe, yeah, some people do better on the SAT, some do better on the ACT. I'm sure if you had time to prep for the ACT you could bring your score up significantly, but it doesn't look like you have time. Stick with your SAT, it's like a 31 on the ACT.
  • Firebreaker7Firebreaker7 Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    I got that same exact sat scores. Kinda confused like you since they are not exactly great but they are not bad either. I'm thinking taking them again in November. Why do you say you don't have enough time to take the SAT again?