Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

12 on SAT essay

dontstopbelievindontstopbelievin Posts: 675Registered User Member
i got a 12 on the SAT essay, but my overall was only 710..
does anybody know any stats about the percentages on getting a 12 on the SAT writing section essay?
Post edited by dontstopbelievin on

Replies to: 12 on SAT essay

• xAAAxxAAAx Posts: 1,465Registered User Senior Member
    no but I got a 7 on my essay and every MC in writing correct grrrrr
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,252Registered User Senior Member
    The essay is only 1/3 of your writing score; the multiple choice makes up the other 2/3 of the score.

I'm not really sure what your question is - I'm assuming you mean how many, and what percentage, of SAT test-takers get a 12 on the writing section essay. These tables reveal partial answers:

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/highered/ra/sat/2006-total-group-writing-subscore-report.pdf

It appears that maybe ~12,500 students a year get a 12 on the writing essay from the graph (it looks like that bar is maybe a quarter of the way past 0 on the way to 50,000). Using the 1,376,000+ students who took the test in that cohort, it would appear that 12,500 is less than 1% of the students who took the test. Even if the number is 15,000 (a much more liberal and improbable estimate given the graph), that's still only 1.1%. So I think it's safe to say that ~1% of test takers got a 12 on the writing portion essay.

A 710 is in the 96th percentile, so I wouldn't say "only" a 710. That's a pretty good score.
  • crazymonkey36crazymonkey36 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    I think that means you probably missed around 10-15 questions on the MC. Not sure though.
  • wg90210wg90210 Posts: 851Registered User Member
    it counts for 250 points of the total 800

your score out of 12 adds to the MC subscore...not sure how they do conversions though
  • SAT2350SAT2350 Posts: 197Registered User Junior Member
    did you get a 12 on every SAT essay??

then tell me ur tips !!

THanks
  • qwert13qwert13 Posts: 188Registered User Junior Member
    your raw score would have been around the 35-36 range. thats just an estimate though cause every test is different, but from a chart that i have thats what your raw score would have been to get 710 with a 12 essay.
  • dontstopbelievindontstopbelievin Posts: 675Registered User Member
    thank you for all those that replied!

my MC actually went down from the first test i took;
    my first test i got a 690 with 8 on the essay which brought me to 670 overall.
    i got a 670 on the MC for the second time i believe.. with a 12 on the essay that brought me to 710.

there was really no big secret for me getting a 12 SAT2350, because i was extremely shocked to see the 12 as well. but if there was anything i did different, i felt like i developed the essay from start to finish really well. my supports were backed up with details, and i didnt try hard to search for harder SAT words while writing the essay. also, i wrote in the entire 2 pages given, as opposed to the first time i took the test when i wrote like 1.5 pages at most. i dont know if this helped at all but good luck!
  • mantori.suzukimantori.suzuki Posts: 3,347Registered User Senior Member
    I know that being able to write that well without having time to edit is a rare gift. Nice job!
  • PaperChaserPopPaperChaserPop Posts: 1,291Registered User Senior Member
    A 12 gives you the license to write a killer college app essay without the worry of being accused of plagiarism or "it must be dad's work." Good job!
  • dontstopbelievindontstopbelievin Posts: 675Registered User Member
    haha thank you guys :]