Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I scored in the 80th percentile nationally on the SSAT. Does this mean I'm smart?

futuresuccessfuturesuccess Posts: 296Registered User Junior Member
I know this question is irrelevent to the main topic of this forum. Please answer anyway. I'm not a really hard working or mothivated student but I still did well on the SSAT. I scored in the 80th percentile nationally. Does this indicate above average intelligence? Do I have a good head on my shouders?
Post edited by futuresuccess on

Replies to: I scored in the 80th percentile nationally on the SSAT. Does this mean I'm smart?

• noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 6,981Registered User Senior Member
    If you have to ask...
  • zapakovexzapakovex Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
    Dude, you're in a place where anything lower than the 95th percentile is considered embarrassing. CC is hardly the place to brag about being in the 80th percentile.

You're above average, but 50% of the people who take the test are also above average, so...
  • yosupyosup Posts: 1,851Registered User Senior Member
    Lol, I'm in the 98th percentile, and I consider myself below average on this site.
  • seattle_momseattle_mom Posts: 977Registered User Member
    1) the SSATs are not taken by all students, only by those trying to get into private schools. So, you are in the top 80% of a self-selected group of higher-achieving students. You should feel good about that.

2) It is not a test grade that makes you "smart." Try not to look at numbers and strangers' opinions to see your own value. I know it's hard on CC -- and hard during the college application process when craving feedback -- but just relax and do your best.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    Many students (inherently, not many) score above the 99th percentile without preparation and don't consider themselves particularly intelligent.
  • An0malyAn0maly Posts: 2,452Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on the exam as well, but a test score does not make you "smart" or "dumb." It is just a number that reflects knowledge in a subject - don't make it more than what it is.
  • Pulverizer353Pulverizer353 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    you're not dumb but you're nothing special
  • cjgonecjgone Posts: 1,520- Senior Member
    SAT != IQ

Sorry, get over it.
  • greenlanterngreenlantern Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    You're smart. Just remember that hard work > smart.
  • sgdudesgdude Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
    @ silverturtle: If I scored well above the 99th percentile with out studying, I would consider myself pretty smart...but I didn't even crack 90th percentile (didn't study either), but I am ok with it, I think I am in like 88th or something like that. (~1900).