Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does studying for the SAT really help? Should I retake it?

shammer8shammer8 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
I just took the March SAT, and as a Junior in high school, it was my first SAT experience. I just got my scores back: I got a 2000 combined; a 650 reading, 690 math, 660 writing, and a 10 on the essay. Although everyone I tell my scores to says I should be happy with the scores and forget about re-taking, I can't help but feel that I could have done better. I didn't study at all, and truthfully do not see how studying could really be very helpful for a test like this. What do those of you who have taken the test multiple times think? How would you recommend I go about studying? Should I just take the ACT and forget about it? Lastly, if you think that scores can be raised by studying, how much do you think I can expect to improve my scores by doing so?

(As a side note: this is my first post, and I am confused about the "Tags" section of the forum post. It says that I can use 25 tags, but when I entered 11 it told me I had 6 more than I was allowed. I then deleted 6, and it told me that I had 3 too many, in the end it only let me use 2 tags... can anyone explain why that would be?)
Post edited by shammer8 on

Replies to: Does studying for the SAT really help? Should I retake it?

• Swimfan1994Swimfan1994 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    Studying is definitely a major factor. My first test without studying was 2270 with 800 Math, 790 CR, and 690 Writing. I took it again after studying the writing section extensively and ended up getting an 800 on writing with an 80 MC and a 12 essay.
  • eastboundeastbound Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    any tips on how to strengthen one's essay, swimfan? congrats on your drastic improvement
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Posts: 1,678Registered User Senior Member
    Take it again. Even without studying, some people do much better. My s improved over 100 points on Cr alone.It will expand your college options to push those reading and writing scores above 650. Try the ACT as well, my S did "better" in terms of percentile and it made a big difference for him.
  • ishanzishanz Posts: 164Registered User Junior Member
    Can an SAT score hold one back from acceptance at a top-tier college? I got an 1860 my first time, am I screwed if I never take it again?
  • shammer8shammer8 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the responses. I guess i just don't know whether it is worth retaking if i'm going to be taking the ACT as well. I am also not sure where to start as far as studying, because it seems to me that it is really a test of knowledge and a very broad variety of questions, so i don't understand how people can improve their scores so much by studying.
  • ATLMOM13ATLMOM13 Posts: 260- Junior Member
    If you can raise your scores into the 1400s on CR + M that will put you in a much better position applying to colleges and receiving merit scholarship consideration. You are obviously starting off with a solid base of knowledge so putting in some prep time should help raise all of your scores.