Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to study for SAT?

suxesssuxess Posts: 28Registered User New Member
My first time taking the sat i went in with no studying, no knowledge of what was even on the SAT (I didnt even know you had to write an essay!) I got:
CR 540
M 530
W 570

After this i mainly studied just test-taking skills.. not so much actual problems or what would necessarily be on the test and recieved:
CR 550
M 540
W 690

What is a good method to studying for the SAT? i am retaking in October.
Also what books/websites have helped yall the most?
Is it worth it to pay for a class?

thanks!
Post edited by suxess on

Replies to: How to study for SAT?

• wutheringgcwutheringgc Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    First, what grade are you in? Generally, one should try to take the SAT only 3 times max. With that being said, if October is your last chance, I would recommend studying/taking practice tests out of :
    1)CollegeBoard Blue Book (It's the official SAT Prep Guide and has a couple of practice tests)
    2)Barrons SAT Math/CR+W (This will let you target individual skills in the different subjects)
    3)A big book of just practice tests.

I suggest taking a diagnostic test to see your current level. Record it. Then, I would rotate the Barrons books every day, intensely studying skills and topics for 1-2 hrs daily. It might be better to do it before you start your homework, so you can get it out of the way. It's REALLY easy to get distracted/lazy and not get to it if you put it off.
    I would do this for 1 or 2 weeks. At the end of that time, I would take a practice test.
    Keep doing this and you'll see your score improving, hopefully to the level you want it too!

As for a class, imo it would depend on what college you're seriously thinking about attending and how much your score improves.
    I took a class-very pricey-and my score went up ~300 pts. So it is deftinately helpful.

Good luck!
  • suxesssuxess Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    im a Junior, and im looking at University of Georgia or University of Southern California